Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezes at Windows login

• Please log in to reply

kengal

kengal

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a Dell Latitude D600 with Windows XP and it's been having problems turning on. Finally when I get it to turn on, it freezes up after I enter my user name and password to log in to Windows. I tried the F2 route to get it to Safe Mode, because someone told me to run the chkdsk function...it froze up at the Safe Mode login screen.

I've had to buy a new laptop...so how do I transfer some of my important stuff that I didn't back up from the Dell, especially considering that the thing freezes up.

Help!!!!!

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You could've not buy a new laptop, and post a topic regarding this..

Anyway, get/borrow a 2.5" IDE to USB casing for your old computer's HDD, and make it a slave (external HDD). They don't cost much, and they are really handy. After doing so, you can access the hard drive just like you're accessing it from your old PC, and you can also use it as a spare storage device, if you backup frequently.

~Kelvin

kengal

kengal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks! I decided to buy a Sony Vaio (maybe I was just looking for an excuse to get rid of my 5 year old Dell). So will the 2.5"IDE to USB casing drive work to transfer my stuff from the Dell even though the Dell won't even start?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Posted Image

These are the ones I mean. They are UPnP enabled, most of the time. Once you get the casing, just bring along the old drive in case you don't know how to install it. The guy there will help you.

By the way, I'm using a Sony Vaio too. :) What model are you using?

~Kelvin

kengal

kengal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the photo! That really helps. I got a CR series Vaio...I love it!!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Argh! The latest model I'm having my eyes on!! ARGH! I own a Sony Vaio FJ57.. so old (2 years) but it runs faster than a normal desktop :) I've hyped it up till the max. 2GB RAM, processor 1.73G, (no change) and lots of other stuff on this computer. Though - if it comes that I need to reformat - I'll be dead. I don't know how to do a reformat. :/

~Kelvin