Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrade mobo, cpu, RAM

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
ok, well then I will use this website as a guide then when I come to getting a new card. I think I'll stick with my current card until I can afford, I'll buy gradually, just gotta get the essentials first.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A month or two from now our recommendations can easily be completly different. Geforce 9 is coming out soon and the price will most likely drop on older Geforce 8 series cards.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
yeah, I figured that much, I might consider gettinga phenom processor then, or a new video card, I still havn't decided on SLI, or Crossfire motherboard. I mean, i'm just getting recomendations for now, and ideas for the future.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
let's say we go the SLI, or Geforce path, since they have a larger selection, and seem to run cooler. What video card should I look at for the same price range ($150 area). And what motherboard should I be looking at. I'll accept SLI and non SLI boards.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you want a graphics card in the ~$150 range, the only one I can recommend at the moment is the HD3850 from ATI and it's slightly more the that.
I cannot recommend getting a Phenom core CPU till the errata (bug in the CPU) has been fixed which will be in the next stepping. It should be shipping in less then a months time.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You can't possibly recommend the HD3850 with the 9600GT coming in a few weeks and it beats the HD3850 in benchmarks. You can find it compared to the 8600GTS, the 8800GS, and the HD3850 here. Unfortunately it can be a bit hard to understand due to the odd translation quirks, but the benchmark pics speak for themselves. It's a dark time for AMD.

Continuing with that, you shouldn't let the errata stop you from buying a Phenom, as it is supposedly impossible to produce in the wild. What should stop you is that the Phenom is a bad performer which gets thrashed around by the Core 2s.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

You can't possibly recommend the HD3850 with the 9600GT coming in a few weeks and it beats the HD3850 in benchmarks. You can find it compared to the 8600GTS, the 8800GS, and the HD3850 here. Unfortunately it can be a bit hard to understand due to the odd translation quirks, but the benchmark pics speak for themselves. It's a dark time for AMD.

I don't base my opinion on rumors. :) While I won't suggest one card over the other at this time, it would be advisable to wait if you can.
If performance holds to be true and the cost of this card is low, it'll be interesting.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2008 - 11:46 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That's not a rumor, I linked to an actual benchmark this time. :) I saw another one on another forum which showed it beating the HD3870 512mb in benchmarks as well, but I can't find the topic now... I'll look around for it though.

And if the 9600gt is beating the 8600gt by about 100%... I can only hope the performance increase remains the same in the high-end spectrum of the 9 series so that we can finally play Crysis the way it was meant to be played.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I should rephrase that, till a well known site posts a review, then I'll suggest it. Many of these sites are bias (+ or -) so there are times where some cards performance is off from the actual performance of the retail product.
James

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Ok, guys I have the option to fix my computer right now, and here is the motherboard I am looking at: http://www.starmarke...x16-p-2322.html I know it's old, but it is perfect for all my gear that i have on my current motherboard. My specs are in my signature, so let me know if it is a good one for me to get.

Advertisements

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
anyone know about my last reply,

and to add on to that reply, I wanted to add another question. WIll I be able to run new video cards, like the Nvidia 8 series and the ATI HD cards?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes and yes.
Just a heads up, that video card will prevent you're newer card from performing it's best.
James

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
did you mean that motherboard will prevent the newer cards from working their best? And I'm not really familiar with the new PCI express, I've heard and have/had x16, but what is 2.0 and how is it compatible? will 2.0 video cards work in x16 slots, and vice versa?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry, what I ment to say was:
Just a heads up, that CPU will prevent you're newer card from performing it's best.

You current GPU is PCIe and not AGP, right?

will 2.0 video cards work in x16 slots, and vice versa?

Yes it will.
James

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
correct, my current video card is a PCI express X16. I'm sorry I'm not quite understanding your last reply about the CPU (X2 4200+) will prevent the newer card from performing at it's best? how come?