Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrade mobo, cpu, RAM

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

correct, my current video card is a PCI express X16. I'm sorry I'm not quite understanding your last reply about the CPU (X2 4200+) will prevent the newer card from performing at it's best? how come?

Basically you CPU acts as a "organizer" in your computer. It calculates information as well as gives tasks to other components in your system.
So what happends when you place a high end GPU with a mid range CPU?
Well since your GPU is much more powerful then your CPU, it can calculate information faster then the CPU can send to the GPU. So basically your GPU works at lets say, 80% capacity instead of 100%. Please note, I that 80% is a random figure and will go up and down depending on the combination of parts.
James

Advertisements

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
ok, I understand that... I'm just wondering where the numbers are to get a sense in knowing which GPU will be compaitble, and allow me to use it's full potential, instead of waisting my money on a card that I won't be able to fully use.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
well I think I am going to go with that motherboard I posted before. I need something that will get me up and running. I hope I can still find it, skt 939 mobo are hard to come by. If anyone can find me an Asus Brand standard ATX mobo with skt 939, and pci express, let me know... I'm still searching for a few good ones to buy, hopefully mid of the week or weekend.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Keep in mind that getting socket 939 board is investing into a dead technology. It is also generally more expensive than the newer socket AM2 boards.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
yeah, I might as well stick with what I was going to invest in. I just need to buy a new processor, motherboard, adn RAM then, if I'm going to do this. which in the long run I am spending more, but I have new technology

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

yeah, I might as well stick with what I was going to invest in. I just need to buy a new processor, motherboard, adn RAM then, if I'm going to do this. which in the long run I am spending more, but I have new technology

That doesn't make sense to me. You are or are not going to buy a new CPU, board, and RAM?

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I am, because the new motherboard requires better ram, and everything else along with it.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Then why not get a socket AM2? If you plan on getting a new CPU and MOBO then there is really no reason in getting an older more expensive socket 939...

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I think he is saying that he is going with his original plan (which was to get a socket AM2 or AM2+ mobo and CPU). :)

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
yeah, I'm getting the AM2 or AM2+ mobo. lol... I guess it could have been confusing. I think I'm going to get the new things, and hold off on the video card for a while, because I need to invest a good amount of money into that as well. So my plan: Buy a new cpu, mobo, ram. Wait a while, then buy a video card, and then possibly move on to buy a new faster hard drive.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I understand now...

Have you decided which MOBO you are going with?

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I've decided to go with an Asus M3A Skt AM2+ (http://www.zipzoomfl...ctCode=10007185). I might choose a newer version of an Asus mobo once I get to that time for buying. I am tryign to stay away from Nvidia chipset, and stick with AMD chipset. Might do crossfire, gonna wait and see who wins that race.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Since you said you will be waiting on the video card, if you wait until around August, NVIDIA's true high-end 9 series cards will be out which will make every video card available today look silly.

Also, since you are going with a new mobo and all, I'm curious as to why you are going with AMD when Intel has much better choices currently available.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I will consider waiting on that situation with the video card.

As for the AMD choice, I've always like AMD more, and I'm not a multitasker, I'm more of a power guy. I like how AMD will run single programs faster than intel, and I just have been an AMD guy since I started building. I have nothing against intel, just more familiar, and know AMD more. plus, in some instances it is cheaper to go with AMD. On top of that, I am choosing Asus, because I have had better luck with them than other manufacturers.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I like how AMD will run single programs faster than intel, and I just have been an AMD guy since I started building.

This is simply not the case. The Intel Core 2 Duos outperform the Athlon 64 X2s in any way you can think of. The only thing AMD has going for them ATM is price and power consuption. Also it the same scene with Core 2 Quad vs Athlon 64 Phenom.