Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade mobo, cpu, RAM

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
well, it's the price issue, and familiarity for me again. I know more about compatibility for AMD and again, I am on a budget, and building a budget machine.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well, I agree that you should get what you like. Just giving you the info so you can make an educated decision.

Are you planning on a 6000+?

Edit: I just had a look and it appears that the 6000 and 6400 are now both the same price!

Edited by Titan8990, 31 January 2008 - 01:16 PM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
well I was considering something more in a 100 dollar budget (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103056). I've been looking at the 6000+, and I'm wondering if there is much of a different between the 2 processors, other than a little bit more speed.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The 6400+ also has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. All the "black editions" of the AMD CPUs are like the "extreme edition" of Intel.

While the 5200+ isn't a bad CPU it is not a huge improvement over the 4200 you already have. Although it could make quite a difference in combination with DDR2 RAM. Also either way you will be prepared for a Phenom upgrade when the time comes.

Edited by Titan8990, 31 January 2008 - 10:54 PM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
that's what I was thinking, I need to get an AM2+ mobo, and I'll be set for a later upgrade. Actually I have a question about old computer parts... Where should/can I take them to get disposed or recycled, or what do you suggest I do with them?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If I don't have a friend that could use my old components I usually sell them locally on Craig's list: http://www.craigslis...bout/sites.html.

There may or may not be one for your area. I usually let them go for really cheap because they are basically garbage to me. Hang on to anything you have that might help in diagnosing a problem if one was to occur.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The 6400+ also has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. All the "black editions" of the AMD CPUs are like the "extreme edition" of Intel.

While the 5200+ isn't a bad CPU it is not a huge improvement over the 4200 you already have. Although it could make quite a difference in combination with DDR2 RAM. Also either way you will be prepared for a Phenom upgrade when the time comes.

Keep in mind these black editions don't come with a heatsink so you'll need to spend additional money.
James

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Thanks james... I don't think I'll be getting them, I'm not really interested in overclocking, I have trouble keeping the heat down as it is already.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I have about a month more of working before I will have the money to put towards some computer parts... Need some more money in my bank account, and then after that I can spend what I make toward it...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sounds good :)
If you have any further questions or concerns just let me know :)
James

Advertisements

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
thanks again, always a great help on geekstogo.com when I'm looking for computer parts, or need help with problems.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok, I'm back again with another question.

I was taking a look at some CPU's and I was still wondering what the L1 and L2 cache mean, and represent. What is good, what is bad?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
CPU cache

Gotta love Google, eh? :)

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
that helped a little bit, but I am still wondering what is better. I understand a larger one i sbetter, but when you are comparing it to speed, like a 3.1 gz with 1mb cache, and a 3.2 with a 512 cache.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Performance will be very similar so in the end I'd just get whatever is cheaper.
I'm assuming you are comparing the Windsor and Brisbane cores, in which case I'd go for the Brisbane because it's much more power efficient and overclocks better.
James