Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please!

• Please log in to reply

dave297

dave297

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi :)

I'm new to the site so HELLO EVERYONE! I look forward to getting to know you - and hopefully finding someone who can help me with technical matters.

I am concerned that after booting my pc the hardisk (not the cooling fan) chunders away as though it is continuously being read or written to. Does this indicate that there is something 'potentially sinister' running in the background and if so how might I establish what it might be?

Some years ago Ihad a similar problem which turned out to be BSkyB using my pc (and internet bandwidth!) to distribute files to other users!! That's not the problem this time - but I suspect it could be something similar!

Any help or tips about how to check things out would be greatly appreciated!

regards

Dave297

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to the hardware forum.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would suggest going to the manufacturer of your harddrive and see if they have a diagnostic test you can use to check the status of the harddrive. If you even suspect it could be related to a virus, then check out the Malware section of this forum. You might like to read through the Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials.

Ron

dave297

dave297

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Ron - I'll give it a try

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me know if you can't find any diagnostic test for your HD. Will need your make/model of HD if you need me to help search.

Ron