Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I asked a few days ago how to overcome the restrictions of no longer having administrative rights and was shut down quickly by Murray S. I asked for the return of my rights, but the pinheads regurgitated some "security policy" nonsense.

Now I'm back with a much less invasive request.

I, after 18 years with admin rights with no problems, no longer have administrative rights to my new
office computer. In other words, my employer is treating me, a long-time trusted employee, a 60 year old engineer
with a Ph.D, as an 8 year old. In short, I find the decisions and attitude of these people, with five years in the organization and who never crunched a number in their lives, most insulting.

If I could bypass my restrictions I would, but short of that, is there at least a
way that I can remove all the annoying icons (icons only, not the programs) the IT people put on my desktop?

Unlike the email readers and memo writers that now dominate my agency, I am an analyst and actually compute on my computer. I don't use Power Point (the tool of choice for those who want to impress while saying nothing of substance, i.e., the dumb-down form of presenting material), Quick Time Player or any other of the junk they put on my desktop. I'd love someone to help me get rid of these icons.

I realize this may appear trivial, but it is the just another harassment in a series of decisions that are reducing the organization's technical capability and lowering morale. I am living Dilbert's life.

Edited by jsaklas, 11 January 2008 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm 66 and understand your problem, but if you want to get rid of the clutter of the IT Icons, see if you are allowed to make a folder on the desktop, label it IT Icons, and drag and drop all of them into the folder. They will still be there to use, but in a much smaller space.

Ron

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hi, Are you wanting to delete all the icons? Have you tried to delete the icons?

Thanks,

-AgentMES

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might also look into doing it this way:

To arrange your desktop icons
Right-click the desktop.

Point to Arrange Icons By, and then click one of the commands on the submenu, as explained in the below.

Click To:
Name Arrange icons in alphabetical order by the icon name.
Size Arrange icons in order of file size. If the icon is a shortcut to a program, the size refers to the size of the shortcut file.
Type Arrange icons in order of type. For example, if you have shortcuts to several PowerPoint presentations on your desktop, these will be arranged next to each other.
Modified Arrange icons in the order that the shortcut was last modified.
AutoArrange Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.
Align to Grid Snap icons into place as designated by an invisible grid on your screen. The grid keeps the icons aligned with each other.
Show Desktop Icons Hide or show all desktop icons. When this command is checked, desktop icons are displayed on your desktop.

Ron

Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

I don't know what Polite means

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Comments Removed

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Cyborg Ninja

At some point, your mother should have told you "If you cant say something nice, do not say anything at all". Your comments here (and elsewhere) were rude, condescending, and completely unnecessary. Since you cannot see your way to being civil here on our friendly little website, I have ended your membership here.

Enjoy your endeavors elsewhere.

ScHwErV :)