Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive "hunting"

• Please log in to reply

kbruce

kbruce

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP media center computer with 200gig hard drive. The hard drive is sluggish and sounds likes its hunting all over for data. I clean and defrag which helps a little but not a solution. I run XP pro

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
"hunting" to a degree is normal, and in the grand scale of things hard drives are slow anyway. They are one of the slower links in any modern computer for data throughput.
If you find out who made the drive you can download diagnostic software to see if its on the way out.

lizbr

lizbr

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a hard drive like that... It has always been noisey.. It is a 250gb 5400 rpm... I have never had a 5400 rpm hard drive before and never had this problem. It also seems to be getting worse.. I think it is going to die..

It annoyed me so much that I put it in an external case, however now the noise is clearer. LOL