Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clearing Google search history

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Anyone know how to get rid of the search history that Google displays? Without thinking about it I Googled something I shouldn't have on my work laptop. I was using IE on XP 'cause we can't install anything better. I was on my iGoogle page at the time.
Now when ever I enter the first letter of the search term that I shouldn't have entered, it displays every search that I have done that starts with that letter including the one I wish it would forget. I have erased my cookies, and all offline content. Still if I enter "P" (no it wasn't followed by "ussy" or like that) google still pops up a list of searches with the unwanted term right at the top. :)
This doesn't happen on my 3 home comps, all running XP but using Sea Monkey or Firefox. Must be an IE thing? Leads me to think that that Google history is associated directly with that particular laptop? If so there must be a way to eliminate the history.

Advertisements

Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

I don't know what Polite means

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
In IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options. Click on the "Content" tab and the "AutoComplete" button. Change the settings from there. This is how to do it in IE6, and I don't know if the process is the same in IE7 but damned if I'll ever download it.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I can't quite remember the actual path. Google has a separate tool that remembers everyplace you have been. It is separate from IE's history. There should be something on the Google homepage, maybe under the preferances, or up on the tool bar.

Sorry, I just can't remember. I have had to change this before though, so I do know it is there somewhere.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Google Search to the Rescue:

A commonly asked question is how one erases the search history from the google toolbar. This method will delete the search history from the google toolbar only. You must erase your browser search history through other methods.

1. Click on the Google logo
2. Choose the Clear Search History option from the drop down menu.

All of your previous searches will now be removed from the drop down box.

Google Toolbar Support

Disabling History Tutorial

Edited by PsychPosse, 11 January 2008 - 10:22 PM.

Cyborg Ninja

Cyborg Ninja

I don't know what Polite means

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
He stated he was searching through his iGoogle page, not a toolbar.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I see that now, yep. I guess we got it covered either way then.

:)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In IE's auto-complete you can use the up-down arrow keys to select, and the delete button to delete, the entries you don't want. (I know this because I make a lot of typos!)
Johanna

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks all, it was the autocomplete in IE.