Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply

sapguar

sapguar

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I recently purchased a new computer from CyberPowerPC and so far, it's pretty good except for some problems I have been having. Let's get right to the specs on this rig.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
2.41 GHz.
1 Gig Ram
Windows XP Professional (Computer came with Vista installed, reformatted
with my own XP pro CDs)
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
500 WATT Power Supply
MOUSE : Razer Copperhead (Blue)
KEYBOARD : Razer Lycosa

And now for the problems.

Problem #1

Random freezes. It seems that about every 2 hours my screen will just "fuzz" up causing me to hardboot the computer. The picture will get disoriented and I have to reboot the computer to get back. If I'm playing music, the music will continue but the screen will be fuzzed. My guess is that it has something to do with my graphics card. I've tested it on games and on desktop and it does it on both.

Problem #2

Both my mouse and keyboard will randomly spaz out. Each do it at there own times and never simultaneously. My keyboard's backlights will randomly start to flicker and if I'm typing while I do this it will sometimes lock it so I can't type. After about 5 seconds of this it will settle down and if the flickering lands on a different light setting, I have to put it back to full light setting. (the three light settings are WASD only being lit, full keyboard light and nothing). The control system for the light switching is a touchpad in the corner of the keyboard. But it shouldn't be something interfering with the keyboard because the media control buttons don't spaz out like the lights so it's got to be a keyboard problem.

For the mouse, while playing my game, it will randomly shut up and come back on. I will hear the sound as if someone was behind my computer unplugging it and plugging it back in. It can get quite annoying because when it does shut off, I have no use in it causing me to wait for it to plug itself back in. I'm sensing a power problem but whatever.

Those are pretty much the big ones.
I have money left over to buy upgrades if needed. I was thinking of actually purchasing another gig of ram to make it 2 gigs. But I would like to hear some of your responses and hopefully they can be fixed without paying anything. I'm open to all suggestions so anything is welcomed. Thanks for reading my post and hope to see some positive replies. If you need anymore information, please do not hesitate to ask. I will be watching this thread whenever I can to hopefully respond to anything you have to say as quick as I can. These problems are livable but it would be nice to eliminate them.

~Tyler

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Look in device manager to see if you have any errors/ unknowns.
Also look in event view for anything unusual.
open task manager and watch it for any unusual activity.
I suspect some drivers aren't playing nice.

I suspect that the warranty is void due to you taking it back to XP, so back to the manufacturer is out.
Therefore, with power off and unplugged, can you remove and reseat all cables and boards. Including memory.

sapguar

sapguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm, when I look in device manager what am I looking for? Just click everything to make sure they are working as intended?

What's the event view and how do I get to it?

I will watch the task manager when I can, what should I be looking for?

Yes, I too suspect a driver problem is in order... now it's just finding out if it's true and if so, which one.

Yes, I specifically told them not to put on any Operating System so I can install my own. But they go ahead and put Vista, which I least wanted on it.

I'm not the best at computers so sorry if they are things I should know :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
In device manager, check all (expand) to look for any " ? " and " ! ".

To get to event viewer start/ control panel/ administrative tools. Look for alerts/ errors under the 3 tabs.

In task manager, look for any programs that might be starting on its own. Look at the process tab for any huge spikes.

This could be malware/ spyware/ virus related also.

sapguar

sapguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There are a bunch of Errors and Warnings under the Application tab in event viewer.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Double click and open them up for more info and see if you can determine what they belong to. Give us screen shots if you can.

sapguar

sapguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, most of the warnings are from the top which is like msinstaller. It says "Failed to connect to server"
The first error I came across was an application error and this is what it said.

Faulting application hl2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module materialsystem.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000aad6.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Here's another
Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20071.12718, faulting module js3250.dll, version 4.0.0.0, fault address 0x0001f8c8.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

There's also a couple other for explorer.exe and launcher.exe

sapguar

sapguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Bump, any help?