Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram question

• Please log in to reply

choogler

choogler

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Can DDR ram be used in DDR2 slots.

I ask cause I am thinking about upgrading my motherboard and PSU but just bought 2 gigs of DDR PC 2700 ram.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No it cannot, drr is 184 pin and ddr2 is 240 pin
Also you may have to upgrade the processor

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah I am trying to do a mobo switch as cheap as possible. The one I got is crap and so is the processor. Was going to switch out those 2 items and put in a new video card. Problem is I can find a Mobo that takes DDR. They all are DDR2.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea I know what you mean, you should just upgrade the ram too but then the psu???????? most likely too

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I can use DDR333 memory in slots desinged for DDR400 tho right?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I can use DDR333 memory in slots desinged for DDR400 tho right?

yeeess, DDR 333MHz is 184pin, the same as DDR 400MHz so the slots are the same. Whether it's a good idea to actually use DDR333 instead of DDR400 is another matter though. Basically, it comes down to the FSB of the system. i.e. if the processor you have requires an FSB of 400MHz, then you should use DDR400 to match. If the cpu runs on 333MHz FSB however, then you should be able to use either.

I'm with Doby on this one - just upgrade the entire lot to a board that supports DDR2. Given how cheap DDR2 is at the moment, this won't cost you much extra and will be far less of a pain in the butt if you need to add more memory later.

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
TRUE