Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Disk read error" Fixed :)

• Please log in to reply

Tripod

Tripod

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello I am new to this forum and I have been reading lots of threads, and I'm sorry if this porblem is on these forum because I couldn't find it anywhere :)

Recently my old computer messed up, it will not boot at all :)
When I try after 2 screens it goes to:

"A disk read error occured
Press Cntrl+Alt+Del to restart"

...doing this will do the same thing, causing a loop :)

I tried running windows in safe mode, but it does not allow me to :)

I tried putting in the windows disk in both my DVD/CD drives and it just says: "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..." and I left it for 2 hours and came back and the Windows setup blue screen still didn't come up, I figured it wouldn't work so I didn't bother waiting more :S

I tried making the 6 floppy disks and usign them, the Windows Setup blue screen comes up, then when its time to insert the second disk, I put it in and it says:

"File \ntkrnlmp.exe coult not be loaded.
The error code is 4.

Setup cannot continue. Press and key to exit."

I had tried these methods about 4 times now :)

Thats about all I figured I should meantion, I there is anything I need to specify, tell me and I will do straight away :)

But bear in mind that I am a n00b when it comes to computers, sure I'm over all pretty good with them, but not when it comes to things like this... so chances are I will not understand a word your saying, and if you could dumb it down for me that would be great :)

Thank you,

Tripod

Edited by Tripod, 18 January 2008 - 03:56 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tripod...

It sounds like your hard drive may have failed. If you know the brand of the hdd, you might try running the manufacturer's diagnostics on it. These utilities will be available as a free download from their website.

wannabe1

Tripod

Tripod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello :),

Thank you very much for the reply wannabe I'll go check now :)

Tripod :)

EDIT: It was Seagate and I found the diagnostics porgram, I just don't know how I can run it on the computer :)

Edited by Tripod, 13 January 2008 - 03:59 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Its a stand alone program. You can create a bootable cd (need to create as an ISO image) or a bootable floppy.
Boot from cd or floppy and follow the instructions.
To create an iso image you need a program like nero.

WHERE TO GET SEATOOLS

HOW TO CREATE AN ISO IMAGE

Edited by 123Runner, 13 January 2008 - 08:46 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you don't have a burning application that's capable of burning ISO images, you can use ISO Recorder...it will add a "Copy Image to CD" option to the right click context menu. To start the program, right click on the image file to be burned and choose that option. It's free and it works well.

Tripod

Tripod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for both your replies :)

Okay I'll try the creating a diskette and burning an .iso, and yes I do have nero :)

Edit: The diskette comes up with "FreeDOS" when loaded on the faulty computer

Edit: I burned the .iso file, it works on the computer :)
I have run two test so far on it, a Short and Long one and both say there is no malefuntions :S

Edited by Tripod, 13 January 2008 - 10:56 PM.

GeekTech

GeekTech

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
If I understand your problem right, then I think you should check your hard drives connections power cable & ribbon cable,
I just fixed my little brothers computer, and it would get up to a screen where it said something like
"invalid disk press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" some times it would start up to windows but most of the time it would go into this loop
every time I restarted, and after restarting a several times then it would some times go into windows.
I plugged a different power connector into it and it started right up and I haven't had any problems since.

That's what I would try before replacing the hard drive or anything, but that's just my opinion and I maybe wrong, :)

GeekTech :)

Tripod

Tripod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply GeekTech :)

My dad has a thing against me opening up computers, he doesnt know that i took out the hard drive to look at what brand it was :)

I will try your method after I try the first one that was mentioned, because I find it will be less likely for me to mess up the process and screw my computer up more than it is :)

But if the method fails, I will do as you have stated and hope for the best :)

Thank you for the advise

EDIT: On the program it comes up with Full Erase under Advanced Features, will this format the drive so i can re-install windows?

Edited by Tripod, 13 January 2008 - 11:11 PM.

GeekTech

GeekTech

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well yeah you do need to be careful inside, just as long as you aren't mess around to much all you got to do is press the cables in on the hard drive
to be sure they are snug and carefully without pressing to hard on the MoBO make sure the ribbon cable is plugged in there too, if that doesn't help anything then I would try a different power connector if there is a free one inside the computer.

GeekTech

Tripod

Tripod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey everyone it should all be fixed soon :)

I erased the hard drive with the program from Seagate, and now the computer can read the Windows Disc as I assumed :)

At the momment its is formating the hard drive so I can install windows :)

I would have loved to have kept the files on the hard drive because I only got to transfer half of my files to my other computers, and then it started saying weird things like "couldn't read a windows file" or something my brother said, and he shut it down, and we I turned it on this error occured :)

Thank you for your time, and your awesome advise :)

This would not have been possible without you :)

GeekTech

GeekTech

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It could be your windows CD, If you have a different copy of windows try that. and it could also be the ribbon cable,
because I got that error before and after I changed the ribbon cable it worked.

GeekTech