Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Rom Drive Help

• Please log in to reply

LeFTy182

LeFTy182

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello. I purchased a HP Pavillion a6120n PC about 3 months ago and my CD/DVD Rom drive suddenly stopped reading discs. I was in the middle of burning a cd and it stopped about halfway through. I tried to do it again with a different disc and it wouldn't read it. I then put an audio cd in and still no luck reading it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Oh and im running Windows Vista if you need to know.

Edited by LeFTy182, 12 January 2008 - 01:10 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would check with H-P for a replacement because i think they have a 1 year guarantee. Other than trying to reinstall the cdrom software i do not attempt mechanical repairing cd drives. Perhaps a cleaning CD would help, but it does not sound like it would. They are too cheap to spend any time trying to fix them. For $30 you can buy a new Lite-on DVD-RW drive. That is less than what i charge for one hours work on someones computer.

SRX660

LeFTy182

LeFTy182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I would check with H-P for a replacement because i think they have a 1 year guarantee. Other than trying to reinstall the cdrom software i do not attempt mechanical repairing cd drives. Perhaps a cleaning CD would help, but it does not sound like it would. They are too cheap to spend any time trying to fix them. For $30 you can buy a new Lite-on DVD-RW drive. That is less than what i charge for one hours work on someones computer.

SRX660

Thank you for the reply. Is there any other way I can try to fix this before I take this up with HP?