Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Administrator rights

• Please log in to reply

JaneInVegas

JaneInVegas

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
To do some maintenance on my daughters laptop I added myself as a user so I wouldn't have to keep bothering her for her password. Everything went smoothly, and I shut off the laptop when finished. The very next time she booted it up, her name was not listed as a user, and my own name was there as administrator. I tried to restore her settings (desktop pic, etc) but have not been able to do so. I went into the C drive to see if I could retrieve her My Documents folder from there, in the folder simply named 'administrator', and got the blurb, "Access is denied".

I downloaded Dial-a-fix to try to fix it through the policies option, but that didn't work either. I actually tried it twice. So how do I get back those files for my daughter? She's devastated ... and very upset with me! :)

Also ... I guess full administrator rights isn't necessarily what I'm looking for, I just need to be able to retrieve her personal files from the 'administrator' folder on the C drive, if I can just do that, I'm good to go. HELP!!!

Edited by JaneInVegas, 12 January 2008 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator (no password). Open Control Panel / User Accounts and see if her account is still there.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 January 2008 - 10:10 PM.

JaneInVegas

JaneInVegas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I rebooted in safe mode, and there was not an option for just 'administrator'. There was mine that was made for the maintenance, and hers named "Robin Deanna". The original one that disappeared was just named "Robin", I didn't want to inadvertantly confuse the two at some point down the road.

So I get into the User Accounts, and there's mine, and instead of "Robin Deanna" or "Robin" there is a "Robin2" which I do not remember creating. DOH! So I guess the answer to your question is, no, the original administrator user name no longer exists. How did this happen??

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, been a bit busy :)

Try renaming Robin2 to Robin form User Accounts in Safe Mode then have her login as Robin and see if everything is there.

If not, do you see a C:\Documents and Settings\Robin folder on your hard drive? You should be able to look using My Computer in Safe Mode. If yes, then here data is still there, just the userid that has been corrupted somehow. What you can do is copy all her data from the Robin folder to the Robin Deanna folder. She would then login as Robin Deanna. Once she is sure all is well, delete the Robin2 (or Robin if renamed)user.

See here for directions on copying the data:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151