Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

windows installer

• Please log in to reply

dave lee

dave lee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My pc was working fine; thew three days ago; I had a window pop up saying "cannot open outlook, mapi32.dll file is corrupted or wrong version". I applied advice to rename said files to "old" but to no avail. I was advised to restore system, which I duly did; now I have a window saying "preparing to install". This hangs for about 1 min; in which time I can do nothing. Then another window says "Patch package could not be opened. Verify patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact application vendor to verify that it is a valid windows installation patch package"

I have no idea what any of that means. I had the pc completely rebuilt about 8 months ago, and it has perfomed perfectly. This seems to have just appeared from nowhere. Please does any body have any idea what has gone wrong and if it can be fixed. Also; I cannot open excel, word or publisher any more, or any of my saved word, excel and publisher documante.

Please, please please can any body help me. Kindly bear in mind that I am an idiot when it comes to computers.

Edited by dave lee, 12 January 2008 - 07:21 AM.

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

1.) It got corrupted by itself.

2.) It got corrupted by malware.

I'd recommend you to do a full scan using Spybot-SD and Ad-Aware first, and see if the problem still persists. If it does, reinstall Outlook Express. If it still doesn't work, then follow the steps here. IF the problem STILL persists, post a log in the Malware Removal Forum in my signature.

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Give the directions at this site a try: http://kb.adobe.com/...n...7&sliceId=2

Though it's talking about installing or updating Adobe, I think the basic cleanup steps apply. Give it a try, post back if you have any questions.