Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Laptop Won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

Zayness

Zayness

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Last night my dell laptop shut down fine & has been working fine. This morning I turn it on and it gives the windows booting up screen F2 for set up F12 for set up (that screen) then it goes to a blue screen checking file system on C: this type of the file system is NTFS. The volume is dirty. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3) File verification is completed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3) 5 percent completed.

Then it just stays there stuck & it won't boot up or anything. I also tried during the windows screen to hit the F2 and another time the F12 but none work.

Please help we need this laptop. What can i do? Thanks.

Its a dell Inspiron 8500 by the way :)

Zayness

Advertisements

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I booted up in safe mode & did safe mode w/prompts but it puts all this writing on the screen but never gives a prompt - booted up again in safe mode & did last know configs that worked properly still didn't boot up - goes to blue screen of CHKDSK - this is the worse time for this to not work for us as my husband needs it today he's leaving on a business trip - please help. Thanks!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.

C: this type of the file system is NTFS. The volume is dirty

This means that there is corruption in a file(s)
You did not state how long you let the computer try to fix the corrupted sectors. Some times this takes a while.
Do you have the original operating system disc? (and what is your O.S. version?)
If you do we may be able to work through a repair, however I am afraid that the Hard drive may be bad.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok I finally managed to get the CHKDSK thingy to run all the way thru and boot up the computer but not its running really crappy & it connects to our wireless network but will not open any pages thru firefox or explorer????? Any ideas - help! Will run the hijack log on it for you & post -

Need to try to get this laptop running & reliable. Thanks.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok sorry about that since I can't get into any web pages on the laptop I cannot run the hijack log as of yet

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
NO Please do not post a HJT log here!
  • I am not qualified to help you with malware
  • HJT logs need to be posted in the malware forum.
Please go HERE
Thank you.

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
But I can't get the firefox or explorer to open so I cannot post a hijack log anyway - it is connected to the wireless internet & shows the connection as being fine but why can't any web pages open up?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You can use a flash drive to help you.
  • using the computer that is working fine, download and save to the flash drive HJT
    • when down loading select save
    • browse, select my computer
    • select the flash drive
  • copy/paste HJT from the flash drive on to the bad computer
  • rename HJT
  • scan and save a log
  • save as, my computer, flash drive
  • use the good computer to post the log from your flash drive

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok thank you I will try that

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Sorry, I wanted to add that if your computer is not infected please post back here for more help.
Thank you.