Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Max321

Max321

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi!

I'm trying to install windows XP on my girlfriends computer, but there's something i just don't understand. After searching for a while How to boot the computer so that it reads the installation cd, I finally found in the BIOS that place where we can change the order of...well...I set it to "CDROM, C, A" instead of "A, C, SCSI" *I hope that's clear XD*

Now that this was done, it finally booted the CD at the beginning and the installation could start. I've done every steps showed on that website: http://www.petri.co....dows_xp_pro.htm until number Ten (In the big Step #3). Everything was going well, the partition stuff, formating to (Except that there was no option to format it in FAT, but it doesn't matter...I guess, since I have to do it in NTFS), but when i was asked about rebooting the computer...well it did. THE PROBLEM is that...When it restarts, it takes me back to the first page where we have to press enter to install and blah blah (the fifth step on the website, still in that big step #3). I never get into a "graphical mode" as they say or anything! So... I Just don't understand XD

There is one other thing you should know though: Starting the computer, when it shows that black screen where it tell the primary master and slave and secondary master and slave, it detect the cd reader, but not the Hard drive...! BUT, it IS detected by the computer, since i just installed windows XP on it and it clearly showed the total space on it and the space remaining ( since Windows was on it). I went back in the BIOS ( Witch looks like almost this one by the way:BIOS), trying to make it detect using that...IDE HDD Autodetect ( Or something like that) But...nothing. I also used the first option at the top left (Standard CMOS setup) and what was writen is "None" at every slots. I tried to put it on Auto, but still...nothing!

So...That's about it. There has to be something i'm doing wrong there XD I hope you can help Me! Your help is ALWAYS appreciated, you're doing great work! Thank you! =)

Edited by Max321, 12 January 2008 - 02:55 PM.

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
The problem is that you never told it to stop booting from the CD, so it does that every time :)

Try to configure it to boot from the drive you installed XP to.

Max321

Max321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
That was a quick answer^^ Thank You =P

Buuut, I actually tried that once. I changed that order to "C only" And...I'm not sure i remember what it did, but there's one sure thing, it didn't work XD I could try it again, maybe i did something wrong somewhere in the process, but do you have any other idea of what it could be? =P

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Go to the screen you photographed (http://www.hardware-...images/BIOS.jpg) and press F7 to restore defaults, then try again. See if that works :)

Max321

Max321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay thank You^^ I'll bring you news in a few days =P

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
If it's a few days, heed the warning in the first line of my signature :)

Until then! Good luck :)