Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

6800GT boot problems

• Please log in to reply

distubred

distubred

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had my pc for about two years now and was custom built. I've had to change the PSU once but other then that everything has been fine until recently.

Over the past few weeks when i've come to turn on my computer sometimes the screen wont boot up to the bios screen, usually i turn the pc off (by holding power on down for 10secs) and then turning it on again, i do this until it kicks in. Sometimes it will boot up first time other times i can do that upto 12 times. Today i got sick of it and opened the case up to check if the leads were firmly in place and nothing was getting lodged anywhere etc. While i had the case open i switched the compuer on again and noticed my Graphics card fan didnt start up and therefore my screen and bios didnt start up. I did what i usually did and obviously when the fan kicked in the computer started fine. This has just started and other then this the computer works fine, i use the computer for gaming, i have as of yet had no random reboots or crashes, no lagg, freezing or anything that youd expect with a dying card. So far it litrally is just getting the card to start that is the problem.

I have always checked the AOpen website for updates but since im using an old card they dont dont seem to do updates anymore and i downloaded the newest Nvidia which comes with the control panel etc and seems to work with various cards. Now obviously since its only started since i did that you would prosume it was the drivers but it was fine when i first installed the drivers and for quite some time afterwards.

Any ideas? Like i said its getting the card to boot other then that so far everything else is fine.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Now obviously since its only started since i did that you would prosume it was the drivers but it was fine when i first installed the drivers and for quite some time afterwards.

No drivers are not loaded for the card during post, so if the computer won't pass post till the fan spins suggests that its a faulty card

distubred

distubred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeh, but surely if the card is faulty i would be expierencing troubles while using it. Whic as of yet i have not, i know more then normal when it comes to computers but not intricate little details. For example i know the graphics card is the problem however the GPU doesnt as of yet seem to have any issues so that brings it down to the fan on the card. Now again i know when the fan kicks in on the card the computer boots and works fine. However when the fan on the card doesnt start spinning the computer wont boot. So could it be the case that the fan is the only issues rather then the whole card being faulty? If so (and this is where i dont know what to do) can i not replace the fan? If so where would i look for a fan to fit the card etc etc. Theres no point me wasting money buying another card when this one is still working bare a few problems with booting the computer.

Thank you again.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You have some very good points and questions.

Is the card under warranty?

If the fan is intermittent on start up this suggests to me that the fan is fine but the card is not sending power to the fan to start up all the time indicating its something internal in the card. Fans either work or they don't, a failing fan can sometime slowdown/make noise but if this was the case you would experiance trouble during normal operation.

Depending on the card yes these fans are replaceable so that is a option to try, maybe the thing just gets stuck but in my experiance when a fan on a video card fails it does not stop the computer from posting/booting it just acts out during normal operation because the card overheats

distubred

distubred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Card isnt under warranty no, i've had it probably 2yrs now with no problems. No noises or anything abnormal.

The reason i said maybe it could be the fan is because i prosumed the card would have a fail safe, like if the fan doesnt kick in the card doesnt kick in to protect itself from as you said overheating. Also again from my expierence with various other pieces of hardware if it was faulty it would do alot more then just a simple boot problem. I really would expect it to lagg me out from overheating (because the fan stops randomly) or just to crash the pc or reboot etc but nothing like that has happened. I am litrally constantly using the card to extremes i use this computer to play games (EQII, BIO SHOCK, BF2142 etc) none of which are exactly light on graphic processing.

Anyway if no-one can shed any light on the matter can any suggest a card that is the same more or less, im not after spending a stupid amount on it. I just want something like this (6800gt pci-e) that i litrally dont have to worry about when i buy a game.

Edited by distubred, 15 January 2008 - 01:10 PM.