Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Upgrade Pentium D to Quad Core 2

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

OK. This is an HUGE upgrade. My processor is hot and I know it's because it's the first Gen of the dual core.

I have this motherboard:

I have an Pentium D 3.2GHz socket 775

I seen an deal on TigerDirect that just raised a question.. do I need to upgrade my motherboard in order to use the Intel Core 2 Quad because it too??.. is an socket 775.

I mean, for a few hundred bucks I can upgrade motherboard, ram and psu... but I really don't want too. I only want a better Processor.

I have until monday to decide. I have the money.. but if I can just upgrade the processor then I'm happy.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes you need a new motherboard, just to let you know the current Intel quads are also the first generation of quad core design. They run hotter like the Pentium D's, though not quite to the extent.
If your getting a new motherboard, get the P35 chipset, the P35-DS3L from gigabyte is a great motherboard for the price.

Edited by james_8970, 12 January 2008 - 08:44 PM.