Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Water Cooling

• Please log in to reply

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
My project for this year is to get water cooling for my system and since i dont know alot about it i was hoping i could get some help.

My current budget is extremely low seeing as im not old enough(14 on the 21st) to have a job and only get $5 a week so im thinking of saving up and buying each part as i get the money, starting with the cpu.

Now i have no clue as to which parts to get, so i want something thats quality but is not uber so i can afford it.

Also how much tubing should i get, what size should i get and should i get something to prevent kinks?(like this?:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835127081)

I want to get some UV lights in my case so UV reactive parts would be nice.

And thanks in advance for any and all help i receive :) .

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you really want to get watercooling your going to look to invest at least 200$, my kit cost me 550$ - though that's the best of the best.
I suggest you take a look at www.NCIXUS.com
This is where I bought my entire watercooling rig and was quite happy with it. They also sell custom kits, which may be right up your ally. Whatever you do, don't get any of the kits sold by, Koolance, Zalman or Thermaltec. There are many flaws in their systems, the only all in one kit that I can suggest right now are those offered from NCIX and Swiftec.
I highly suggest you just wait till you have enough money and buy it all at once, it'll be much more worth it.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do water cooling?
James

P.S. It's 2008 :)

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I want to do water cooling so i can overclock my computer while not having my system sound like a plane, and because it seems like a cool and challenging project, and i know that its going to cost $200+.

Also if i try to save up $200 i'll probably just end up spending it on something else. :)

I am going to try to get a computer tech support business going(a small one atleat) probably over the summer if not earlier so i can make some money for this.

Now i did some surfing on the site and heres the setup i'm thinking of, this is all 1/2" stuff.

D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block

D-TEK Customs Fuzion GFX GPU Water Block (i'm wondering if this will be compatible with an 7600gt)

HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator (i'm going to put my case fans on this.)

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir

Swiftech MCP655-B 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump

Clearflex 60 Tubing 1/2IN ID 7/8IN OD 10 Feet

D-TEK Customs Liquid F/X UV Dye Water Cooling Additive CLEAR/BLUE

Danger Den Cooling System Fillport Blue W/ Wrench

Water Accelerator Nozzle Kit for D-TEK Fuzion CPU Block

Swiftech Smartcoils 625 Blue

And an Polypropylene T.

Now is this good or should i add/remove something?

LOL i just noticed it says 2007, it was supposed to be 2008. :)

Edited by zoneykid, 13 January 2008 - 07:43 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You don't need a T-line in your case if you have a reservoir, while some people do both, I'd suggest not doing it as it will decrease the flow within your loop.
If you really want to buy stuff in sections, I suggest buying the Nozzel kit and FuZion immediately, they go very quickly and when they sell out, it's usually a month or two before they get new stock (D-tek is based in eastern asia).
Without the T-Line you can scrap the fill port as well.
Get Hydrex for your distilled water.
If your aiming for quiet, then I'd suggest a thermochill rad, though be warned, they are significantly more expensive because they are the best on the market.

As for the GPU cooler, get the MCW60 from Swiftech.
Also get some metal barbs for it, the plastic ones leak.
D-Tek barbs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 January 2008 - 12:30 PM.

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hydrx wouldn't happen to come in blue would it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No it's not offered in blue, if you wanted blue, then you'll have to get a biocide agent.
That site offers one called PT_Nuke.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 January 2008 - 01:01 PM.

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the info, i'll get the biocide and dye then.

Edited by zoneykid, 13 January 2008 - 01:10 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Alright, good luck with the build.
If you encounter any issues or if you need any tips, just ask.
James

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Should i get red, blue, green, purple or yellow dye?

Cause everything else in my system is blue so i was thinking maybe something to offset the color...

Edited by zoneykid, 13 January 2008 - 02:13 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) That's based on personal preference.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Clearly you should get orange, because it's my favourite colour :)

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok i found this one dye i like, its UV reactive black and under a UV light it turns a clear-ish blue-ish color and i like it alot but the problem is the its on another website =(.

Also a friend of mine says he might be able to get this watercooling system thats on this light chair(has lots of little red and blue led's for healing and stuff, and it gets REALLY hot so it needs water cooling xD) cause his friend could get him anything so hopefully that will help although i'll still have to do some work to get it working(cpu and gpu waterblock, cut the tubes to fit, etc..)

I'm thinking of going towards red or blue dye if i cant get this deal to save some money.

Wish i could set it up so i can have the video card have red dye, the cpu have blue dye and the chipset have green dye without spending a crapload of money for 2 more pumps, reservoirs and radiators.=(

Edited by zoneykid, 14 January 2008 - 06:48 AM.