Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keybard error between cmaos bios settings and windows

• Please log in to reply

RD'Lapsley

RD'Lapsley

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so the issue I'm having has to deal with my keyboard. It's a microsoft usb keyboard. where I can't use it is either just before or right at the execution of the boot sequence by the BIOS. As soon as my computer starts going through the boot sequence I am unable to get to safe mode, if it boots to a cd or floppy, even with usb lagacy drivers installed, I am unable to use the keyboard. When I finally get back into windows, the keyboard starts to work again. Normally this wouldnt be a big issue, but I was trying to dissect a few mods for xp that I installed and affected a change to to xp that causes it to behave in a way that is not beneficial in any way, shape, or form. Because of that (or rather due to my own ineptitudes) I decided to just reinstall xp (since thats easier for me then going through a really long trouble shooting process). Any ideas on why my keyboard doesnt work?

Edited by RD'Lapsley, 12 January 2008 - 05:26 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
make sure usb legacy support is enabled in bios, don't forget to save when you exit if you make a change

RD'Lapsley

RD'Lapsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I dont actually start having problems with my keyboard until the boot sequence happes. Before then my keyboard works just fine. I can get into bios and edit the settings with the same keyboard that not even 30 seconds later wont respond at all until im in windows.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I see just wanted to make sure I was not clear on that, Thats a new one to me, once bios hands over controll to the operating system it should load a driver for the keyboard. But your inability to use the keyboard when booting from cd when the legacy drivers are obviously loaded makes me guess its some strange problem with the keyboard.

Just a guess though sure hope that helps somehow

Edited by Doby, 12 January 2008 - 09:15 PM.

RD'Lapsley

RD'Lapsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well the keyboard does work in the operating system, but only when it gets to the login screen and the drivers for the operating system take over. It's inbetween there and the initial power on that the keyboard sops working and therefore i can't reinstall windows and/or get into safe mode. And I've tried everything i can think of to try and force windows to ask me to boot into safe mode, so far i havent gotten anything T.T

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea its strange, its like the keyboard does not see the legacy drivers, I am not sure how windows handles that when the operating system fully loads but guess it likes the drivers then, my guess bad keyboard, let me know what you find

RD'Lapsley

RD'Lapsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
will do

RD'Lapsley

RD'Lapsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It turns out that there was something in the cache of the computer where everytime the cache would be activated, it disabled the usb legacy drivers (at least thats what I'm assuming). In order to fix this I had to pull of the battery from my mobo and remove the ram. Doing this allowed me to keep the drivers active. So, in the end doby was right :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Makes sense that a clear cmos worked I should have thought to try a cmos clear, but I can't imagine what pulling the ram did, anyway sure glad you got it sorted!