Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP welcome screen problem.(No User name or password)

• Please log in to reply

katenryan

katenryan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My mother did something to her comuter where she reset the user to ,whoever it belonged to before. So now we cant even go pass the welcome screen where it asks for a user name and password. Is there anyway we can start the laptop in DOS mode and fix that somehow? Thank you very much for whoever can help us with this! Is my first time here and I am hoping it would be usefull. Thanks again! :)

Advertisements

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
follow this

Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

go to control panel and click on user account then u can change the password or remove the user account and password.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One thing tykyoo did not mention that may be important is if this is a XP Home system then you will be prompted to login as Administrator and asked for a password. Just press Enter as there is no password. Then use Use Accounts in control panel.

Post back if you have more questions.

jnelson522

jnelson522

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have just the same problem: Welcome screen with no user names (on Windows XP).
Tried starting in Safe Mode, and still got a Welcome screen with no user names.
Any other suggestions for getting past the Welcome screen?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
XP Home or XP Pro? If Pro, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice while on the logon screen. That should bring up the old style (Windows 2000) screen. Change the userid to Administrator, leave the password blank and login.

Edited by Ztruker, 04 April 2008 - 08:12 PM.

jnelson522

jnelson522

• Pip
  • 4 posts

XP Home or XP Pro? If Pro, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice while on the logon screen. That should bring up the old style (Windows 2000) screen. Change the userid to Administrator, leave the password blank and login.

XP Home, I'm afraid.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hopefully you have SP2 installed. When you get to the boot selection screen after pressing F8, is Last known good configuration listed? If so, choose it. See if that gets you up and running again.

jnelson522

jnelson522

• Pip
  • 4 posts
"Last known good configuration" is listed, but still gave me a welcome screen with no users. Other ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Perform a Windows Repair from your XP CD.

jnelson522

jnelson522

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah, so it comes to that.
OK. Thank you.

Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I know this is a month late, but I am new here and was just browsing.
You were being steered in the right direction, but what was left out was that in User Accounts; go to Control Panel/User Accounts, then click on User Accounts again, another window opens and under "Pick A Task" you have 3 options, the last being "Change The Way Users Log On or Off", from there you can choose either "The Welcome Screen" (No Screen Names) or "Fast User Switching" (shows the Screen Names.)

Hopes this helps

techster

techster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) okay i cant go past the welcome screen! i Never gave any password although created my account. so here is all that i have done... (basically all of the above)

reformatted with XP SP2
tried Ctrl Alt Del
tried Safe Mode
tried Last Known Config
tried Boot Logging (does that require the XP cd?)

there has to be a way through this! :)

ArtinDFW

ArtinDFW

• Pip
  • 1 posts

XP Home, I'm afraid.

I did this. I logged in (There is a God!!!). I did a System Restore 3 days back. It Worked!!!

Thank you , thank you, thank you ...