Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP, Daemon, and antivirus

• Please log in to reply

Tranq

Tranq

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I've recently been posting within the Malware section and was able to get some terrific help. I had the malware Indt2.sys and ndt2.sys messing around with my computer. Fortunately, that problem has been fixed and I haven't seen any more problems specifically dealing with malware.

However, I've encountered a few follow-up problems. First, I've noticed that double clicking on any mp3 or avi file will open windows media player, but it won't play them. I have to physically drag the file into windows media player for it to start playing.

Second, I've noticed that I cannot open Daemon Tools main application. I updated and reinstalled, however when I still try to open it, i get a message saying "error in command line".

However, the more important problem that I've encountered, is that my Trend Micro AntiVirus keeps getting shut down on reboot. I get the following messages at start-up. I've tried re-installing, but that didn't do anything either. Of course, I am also thinking that since I had to reinstall and update, and that it is only meant for 1 computer, than the key code no long works and I have to contact the company. but, i'm not sure.

I still have to run through my computer to see if anything else is amiss, but those are the problems that I've encountered so far.

Any additional help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Trang, the first thing I would do is run sfc /scannow from the Start / Run box. You will need your XP CD to do this. Hopefully you have one. This will check a specific set of critical system files on your hard drive against what is in the C:\Windows\system32\dllcache folder and replace any that are changed or missing. Before it does this, it checks the comntents of the dllcache folder against files on the XP CD which is why you need the CD.

Now if you have a C:\I386 folder then you can run a little registry hack that will point XP there instead of needing an XP CD. If you have the folder and not a XP CD, post back and I'll give you the registry changes needed.

Tranq

Tranq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I unfortunately can't find my XP cd. However I did find an XP pro cd, but I doubt that that would work.

And I did find the an I386 folder under C/:Windows file.

Also, attached are the two messages that I get when restarting my computer, telling me that Trend Micro isn't working. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Removed by Ztruker - may be bogus information when the I386 directory is C:\Windows\I386. Need to know more about that directory and it's contents first.

Trang, can you tell me more about the C:\Windows\I386 folder? Mine has a top level directory structure that looks like the following, is it similar to yours?

C:\I386>dir *.
Volume in drive C is HP_C
Volume Serial Number is 6021-F905

Directory of C:\I386

08/17/2007 07:07 PM <DIR> .
08/17/2007 07:07 PM <DIR> ..
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> ASMS
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> COMPDATA
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 3 DISK1
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> DRW
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 734 HOSTS
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> LANG
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 250,032 NTLDR
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> SYSTEM32
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> WIN9XMIG
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> WIN9XUPG
08/04/2004 07:00 AM <DIR> WINNTUPG

Total Files Listed:
6772 File(s) 537,518,383 bytes
461 Dir(s) 13,167,071,232 bytes free

Edited by Ztruker, 14 January 2008 - 08:56 PM.

Tranq

Tranq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no, I don't think its the same.

Uhhh... I was hoping to avoid this, but I think that I'm going to have to reformat the freaking computer. It might just be a good thing, to clean out all the crap.

I just hate to think of re-installing everything.

But before I do, I got a question. I have two external hd's plugged into my computer. They only hold music, movie, and doc files. Is there any way that those could have been corrupted by the malware, so that they would need to be deleted too, so that they don't re-infect the system?

If not, looks like i'm going to upgrade to xp pro.

Let me know.

Thx

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Possible, yes. Likely, no. For safety, disconnect both when you install XP. Once the install is complete and you have your AV and firewall installed and active, connect them one at a time and run a AV scan on them.