Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop to Desktop Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply

*~*Dena*~*

*~*Dena*~*

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, Im new to the forum. I would like to know how to share a Comcast High Speed connection on 2 computers in seperate rooms. My brother has a laptop in the basement, with a wireless router already installed. Is it possible to connect the desktop upstairs to the same connection?

Advertisements

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
heres what u need for wireless desktop http://i.walmart.com...099_500X500.jpg

or u can either move the modem and router upstairs then u need a ethernet wire heres the picture http://blog.internet...ernet-plug.jpeg then plug the ethernet wire into your desktop and router.

Edited by tikyoo, 12 January 2008 - 08:15 PM.

*~*Dena*~*

*~*Dena*~*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's what we have in the basement, hooked up to the laptop. Can I make it work without having to move the desktop down there?

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
he doesnt need this http://i.walmart.com...099_500X500.jpg to his laptop he already have a router. tell him that i need that for my desktop to connect to a wireless u also need a cd for that.

*~*Dena*~*

*~*Dena*~*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, so if I take that and hook it up to the desktop, I can make it work with the internet he's connected to downstairs?

Edited by *~*Dena*~*, 12 January 2008 - 08:34 PM.

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
yah.

*~*Dena*~*

*~*Dena*~*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so would u mind giving me instructions on how to do that? Because I know absolutely nothing about this stuff.

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
first put the cd in. after that theres should be a linkys pop up on the screen click on click here to start then click next to accept the license aggreement then u have to wait coz its gonna install . then insert the adapter into your usb port . then look down to the right side of your computer monitor in the right theres should be an icon there for linkys. then theres should be a connect. then u can see available wireless click on the name whatever your brother put then click connect if it needs a security passphrase ask your brother what is the security passphrase.

Edited by tikyoo, 12 January 2008 - 09:12 PM.

*~*Dena*~*

*~*Dena*~*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I'll try this out . Thanks for ur help. :)

Edited by *~*Dena*~*, 12 January 2008 - 09:02 PM.

*~*Dena*~*

*~*Dena*~*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I took a look and its not gonna work. The cord for the wireless router isnt gonna fit into the desktop. The desktop can only fit the phone jack. The other cord is wider than the phone one.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Depending on his wireless router make and model, I would get a wirelss G card for your desktop. See HERE

Edited by PsychPosse, 13 January 2008 - 08:03 PM.