Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Everything quits working.

• Please log in to reply

Spazactaz

Spazactaz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Ok I am having a problem... I start my computer, and everything works fine for about 15 or so minutes. Then all of a sudden, NOTHING seems to work. Like it doesn't seem frozen or anything... I move the mouse to go open anything on the desktop... it will change to the hourglass as if it's going to open, then just.. does nothing. Same as if I try to get to the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete, nothing happens. I didn't make any changes either, this just started happening randomly! Any idea what it could be and how I can fix it? It's getting annoying restarting every 15 minutes just to do something. Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Could be errors on the C: drive, Spazactaz. Worth a try -- tell Windows to fix them:
1. My Computer->right-click on C: drive icon.
2. Choose 'Properties'
3.Click the 'Tools' tab
4. Click "Check Now" then tick both options.
5. Click "Start" then click "Yes" for a disk-check to run next time Windows is re-started.
6. Re-start Windows and the error-checker will run.

Now for good measure when windows is running again, temporarily disable your antivirus on-access file-checker and run the Disk Defragmenter on all drives/partitions in turn:
Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter

Remember to re-enable your antivirus file-checker when defrag is complete. The need to disable it is to prevent it interfering with the defrag process, causing it to continually re-start.

Spazactaz

Spazactaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks.. just tried all that, but I'm not sure that it changed anything. I'm noticing it's always a different time length though. Sometimes it'll be good for 45 minutes... sometimes only 10. The programs are fine until I close out of them too.... like say I was using Windows Media Player.... if the thing happened where everything quits working..... I could still use WMP until I closed out... but then I wouldn't be able to reopen it or anything. It's sooo weird, and I can't figure out what could be wrong.. so annoying! :)