Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Professional activation

• Please log in to reply

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have two computers in which Iíve built both of them. In the past with previous versions, every six months or so, I would format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system that I was using at the time. My main computer now has Windows XP Professional. Last month, I didnít like the way my system was running so I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP. When I went to activate the system, I got a message telling me that Iíve exceeded the number of times I could activate the system and to call Microsoft. When I called, the person asked me why I did that. I felt that it was none of his business why I did it. Anyway, I did get a new activation number. I understand that Microsoft doesnít want people to pirate the software. Is there any way to avoid this in the future? Thanks in advance.

BTW, my copy of XP Professional is legal.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
No, there is no legal way to avoid Microsoft's terms covering Product Activation, I had to phone them myself for the same reason recently since I often re-install to have a good "clear out" of my system. However, on that occasion I immediately created a disk image of my fresh installation, saving the image on a slave disk as well as saving the image on to a DVD. Now when I want to re-install I just restore from the disk image (which is already activated).

To create/restore the disk image I purchased 'Norton Ghost' (the 2003 version which runs in real DOS, not the Windows version which is unreliable). One of the most useful software utilities I've ever owned.

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had a feeling that was an answer I would receive. Had I known to save the image on a slave disk as well as saving the image on to a DVD, I would have done that. I'm going to look into 'Norton Ghost' as you mentioned. Thanks for the reply.

Andrew :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Also look into XXclone its free, works well with XP but not with vista