Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphic/monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Pip
  • 8 posts
In certain colors that appear on my screen, they look to be moving and either a magenta or green shade instead. This also tends to show up in the shadeing in my video games. Since other computers do not show the problem, i took a screen shot and drew in the problems spots:
SCREWED UP COLORS

how can i fix this???

kyle

Edited by r3k5e71, 21 June 2005 - 06:02 PM.

Advertisements

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Try degaussing the monitor.

http://www.sharpened...ion.php?degauss

"Ever wonder what that "degauss" button on your monitor does besides make a buzzing noise and cause the screen to go crazy for a second? Though that's its main purpose, the degauss button has another useful feature. To understand it, you'll first need to know that the earth has natural magnetic fields. The magnetic charges from these fields can build up inside your monitor, causing a loss of color accuracy. Degaussing scares the bad magnetism out of the monitor and fills it with good karma. If your monitor doesn't have a degauss button, fear not -- many new monitors automatically degauss themselves. If you have a flat-panel display, there is no degauss button because magnetism doesn't build up in flat screen displays."

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

In certain colors that appear on my screen, they look to be moving and either a magenta or green shade instead.  This also tends to show up in the shadeing in my video games.  Since other computers do not show the problem, i took a screen shot and drew in the problems spots:
SCREWED UP COLORS

how can i fix this???

kyle

View Post

same problem as me :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are the odd colors always in the same place on the monitor, no matter what is on the screen?
and are you using a CRT or LCD monitor?

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i am using an LCD.

I can adjust the color (ie red's contrast, brightness, and gamma)using the Nvidia FX5200 control, which would just change where the line would show up on the color fade previewer......

fyi there is a third lighter line (3 lines... 3 colors)

the monitor looks like how it does if the gamma is off, only to a small degree under certain shades.

when i play CS:S the I'll see purple, and greens lines and whatnot in shady spots

thanks so far

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
well, that blows my theory. with an LCD, if certain pixels are stuck on the same color all the time, then you know that pixel is trashed. sounds like your ugliness moves around...
are the connections between the PC and monitor on tightly? a loose connection can cause weirdness.
if you have turned the brightness up really high, that could cause some artifacts as well.

otherwise, I would check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card, and possibly for your monitor. I am not an expert in video, unfortunately...

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks anyway,
luckily it really doesnt bug me that much, but if I figure anything out... ill put it here.

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
**update**

after packing to move home from college, and hooking up my computer again, my monitor now works fine, which leds me to believe my problem must have been caused by a dusty or untight connection in my monitor.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah yes, the ever popular "it works again for no good reason" problem. your right, probably a loose connection. thanx for the update!