Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Networking a DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

Curious D

Curious D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi. I have an HP tablet PC (no optical drive) that I'm thinking of reinstalling XP Tablet Edition. I do not have an enclosure for a DVD ROM drive so I was wondering if I could use my desktop DVD RW drive to help me install my software that can't be installed via virtual drive. An example of this would be Microsoft Streets and Trips which did not install through virtual drive, but requires an attached optical drive. I have a wireless router and I know how to share folders by networking the computers together (although the XP networking wizard has been hit or miss at times with me). Is it as easy as sharing the drive on the network (like sharing a folder) and should I do this with wired connection versus wireless connection? Is the installation reliable through this method? Is a USB external drive much more reliable? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Share it over the network the same you would with a hard drive or folder. Wired or wireless doesn't matter if its a one-off job every once in a while.
It probably won't install any faster but its a cheap solution that works.

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the reply. I just realized that I have a problem. Even if I were to use the network drive, how can I reinstall the Tablet OS without an external drive? If I use the network drive, the moment that the OS begins to reinstall, I will lose the network drive as the settings will no longer be functional. If the installation is common to the usual non-Tablet OS, the optical drive is needed throughout the installation process. Is there a way to do this without an optical drive?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It is possible to install from across the network, but it takes a bit of fiddling about.
http://www.netstumbl...-network-12469/ might be of interest to you.