Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2 admin account changed to user, profile issue ...

• Please log in to reply

ladygeek08

ladygeek08

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, i'm new here on this site. saw this while googling to find solutions on my current dilemma. decided to join coz i'm thinking that the members of this site can help me out.

here's the issue:

I used my laptop initially from a different domain only having user account. Recently, we added a new domain hence the lapto's initial domain setup must be moved to this domain. Before changing the laptop to a new domain, the network engineer created a new user as local admin and moved his way in changing the domain.

On the new domain, i was given the administrator rights from the active directory but not on the laptop. when i accessed my laptop on the new domain and tested that it was working fine, i tried to get the files from the file folder of my previous account beloning to a different domain when i received the prompt "you do not have the right to access....".

All my working files including MS-Outlook PST is on that profile which i cannot access. I also tried logging in as local admin hitting ENTER immediately without putting any password but i still encountered the same error. i also tried to boot up from safemode unfortunately received the killer blue screen.

We also changed my active directory admin rights to workstation admin rights and used it but still, i cannot login as administrator. I was thinking that if i have network or local admin rights, i will be able to import my old profile and get all the critical data from that and move it to my new profile in the new domain.

In as much as i want to use a third party application to reset the admin password, i am a bit hesitant coz i while trying to find answers on my problem, i bumped into an article that WinXP Pro SP2 - when you use resetting tool can remove all the files from my target profile which i cannot risk to happen.

By the way, i have safeboot installed and this normally encrypts all files of my laptop.

I really, really need help. I don't want to reinstall because i might lose my microsoft outlook PST files which is critical as well.

Hoping for any advice and help from you guys. If this gets resolved, i guarantee being active on this forum. :)

Edited by ladygeek08, 13 January 2008 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements