Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler Crashes on Server 2003

• Please log in to reply

Duke of Savings

Duke of Savings

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running Windows Server 2003 R2. All of the printer Icons disappeared from the Printers and Faxes folder. When I try to add a printer or view Server properties, I get an error message saying that the print spooler service is not running; I restart the service but it crashes again when I try to add a printer or view the properties.

Can anyone give me a starting point? I don't mind doing the "grunt" work! :)

Duke

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Start by looking in Event Viewer, see if there are any errors logged that can help identify the problem.

Quickest way to get there is press Winkey+R, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 January 2008 - 03:10 PM.

vioilly

vioilly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have you added any printers recently?

you may have a corrupt print driver. If you are purely installing the printers on your Windows 2003 R2 server and that's it, try uninstalling the printers one by one and see if the print spooler crashes or not - you could laso try updating your drivers on your printers if you dont want to uninstall the printers. Make sure the driver is the correct one on each printer.

Event viewer would be a good place to start to see if there is a particular printer driver error but otherwise it'll likely report that the spooler.exe has crashed

Duke of Savings

Duke of Savings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

have you added any printers recently?

you may have a corrupt print driver. If you are purely installing the printers on your Windows 2003 R2 server and that's it, try uninstalling the printers one by one and see if the print spooler crashes or not - you could laso try updating your drivers on your printers if you dont want to uninstall the printers. Make sure the driver is the correct one on each printer.

Event viewer would be a good place to start to see if there is a particular printer driver error but otherwise it'll likely report that the spooler.exe has crashed

Yep!! Found it. A corrupt HP driver.

Thanks!

Duke

Ausietec

Ausietec

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
I deal with printer problems virtually every day and one of the best tools I have found for these issues is available from
http://www.kyocera.c...u/utilities.asp
Download the "Deleter" programme and run it on any suspect server/workstation.
It is a universal driver "clean-up" tool and I have used it safely on servers with up to 200 printer queues and have cleanly removed all different brands of printer drivers.
This little known utility has saved me many many hours where I previously had to delve into C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\x\
and the registry to successfully clean up corrupted drivers.
You would be surprised at how many professional server guru's have no idea that there is a correct way of uninstalling and updating print drivers.
This is by far the easyiest way and gives you a squeaky clean printers folder after a reboot.
You then have a fresh machine to load your new driver on.
Good luck
:)

markus12

markus12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
make batch script
net stop spooler
net start spooler

or you can use TerminalWorks TSPrint Remote Desktop Printers