Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
8800 GTX (728 MB version)
RAID0 drive config for media
300 GB seagate HDD
ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i
Q6600
2x 2GB sticks of pqi TURBO DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)

Edited by pr0n, 13 January 2008 - 02:40 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you give me a budget and links to each part.
Your missing, a DVD drive.
Do you already have the monitor and case?
The new 8800GTS 512mb GPU is a better purchase then the 8800GTX.
I suggest buying a different brand of memory.
Do you already have any of this purchased?
James

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
sorry, already have cd, dvd drives. and plenty of other hard drives than whats listed, case: thermaltake xavier, (already purchased) already have a 700W thermaltake PSU.

the video card has already been purchased (why is the 512 gts version better than the 768 mb gtx?)
the main idea here is i'm switching CPUs (and mobos of course) I have an FX60 and an asus mobo(can't remember what one, doesn't really matter) with DDR1 memory, so I wana make that switch also

I already have a monitor: IBM thinkvision it has the best response time available and very nice resolution although it weighs nearly 70 lbs :)

this is a list of everything I will be purchasing for this build. the total comes to about 750 which is really about my limit. I can upgrade the memory and sell the pqi later I'm not too worried about that (I build comps for family a lot) unless you have something comparable for relatively the same price
.... do you think it would be wise to purchase 2 gigs of something better? and wait to get 2 more gigs later? I need the comp asap as the current one is out of commission. (overclocking miscalculation) I'm pretty sure the mobo and cpu survived but my main hard drive is completely unrecoverable with conventional methods. but while I'm at it I figured id make an upgrade

ASUS striker extreme MOBO http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131074
Q6600
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115017
pqi memory
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820141241
HDD
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148290

Edited by pr0n, 14 January 2008 - 04:17 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Get this memory. The memory you have suggest seems like it might be a little suspect.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145184

Unless you plan on going SLI, I highly recommend a P35 board.

If you wait, Intel is going to release their new quad core processors in march it seems. While there won't be much of a change in performance, they are a superior chip because they consume alot less power, run cooler, overclock better, have more cache and have support for SSE4 instructions.

James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

why is the 512 gts version better than the 768 mb gtx?

I'm not sure why James didn't answer this himself, so I will.

He didn't say the 8800GTS 512mb was better than the 8800GTX, he said it was a better purchase. This is because the 8800GTS 512mb equals or outperforms the 8800GTX at all but the highest resolutions, for a much cheaper price. The 8800GTS also has more overclocking headroom, as it uses a 65nm manufacturing process, compared to the 90nm manufacturing process used with the 8800GTX.

But being that you already bought the 8800GTX, I guess it doesn't matter. I just hope you bought it from EVGA so you can step-up to the 9800GX2 which will be available in mid-February and be at least 30% more powerful than the 8800 Ultra.

Edited by stettybet0, 14 January 2008 - 10:09 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah I missed that question.

I just hope you bought it from EVGA so you can step-up to the 9800GX2

XFX has better warranty now, so that brand is just as good.

which will be available in mid-February and be at least 30% more powerful than the 8800 Ultra.

Please note that this is just a rumour and at this point I'm not very confident that it's true. nVidia has been very tight lipped regarding this and nothing seems to be concrete or based on facts. Intel is also said to release some GPU's in Q1 2008, but again they are so tight lipped I'm not confident that they will be releasing anything this quater.
James

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I switched out the memory for the one you said, (I may still contemplate buying 1 2gb stick that's really nice and just waiting to get the other, (good job finding that deal btw)

I think im gonna keep the mobo I don't wanna have to buy another later if I do decide to updrage to SLI