Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

1500$ towards my new build

• Please log in to reply

Bacan

Bacan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is going to be my first computer I have attempted to build from separate parts. I really only know the very basics of the different parts and uses of a computer, so please bare with me (acronyms are confusing). I have a price cap of about 1500 dollars. I would be using this computer to do the common word processing, internet browsing, movie watching, etc. I also just got into WoW and want it to run smoothly. My main issue with my current laptop(Inspiron E1505) is that of internet connectivity. I connect by wireless DSL and I can never really keep a stable connection. Sometimes i will connect to my wireless connection but it wont let me browse (local not internet). Sometimes it will not even show up on my list of available networks. Sometimes it will just be very laggy or have a very low number of status bars. And this "sometimes" is most of the time... The area in which I would like to have this new computer is around 30-40 feet away from my router/modem. I live in a Manhattan apartment and am therefore told by my wireless provider that wireless networking doesn't work very well in crowded areas like that. I was given a set of parts I could use, im wondering if it works/where I could improve/etc. I was looking to spend around 1500$ instead of 1300. The following is the set of parts suggested for what i want. I already have speaker, a monitor, and mouse/keyboard. I want a quad core. And I never want the computer to get really hot...
Is the graphics card going overboard?

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129021

ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131219

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130318

Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153039

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115017

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145175

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148288

PHILIPS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe 2-Tone SATA Model SPD6104BD - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827248011

:)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Your choices look fantastic, there really is no need for any further comments/changes.

Of course, I will give my comments :)

I personally prefer Gigabyte or Abit motherboards as I've had bad experiences with ASUS in the past, but if it works for you then it works!

This power supply is also 700W and very good quality, just a little cheaper for you. Thermaltake do have good products in their Toughpower range, though.

If you don't do heavy gaming, you could even downgrade the graphics card a bit, I have that card (Gainward) and it's excellent. If you do think it's overboard, try looking for one of these (in stock, of course). Or something like this if you aren't against an ATI card.

Would you not need to add a wireless card? And also an OS (i.e. Windows Vista, perhaps)?

Cheers, Troy

Bacan

Bacan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Your choices look fantastic, there really is no need for any further comments/changes.

Why shux, thanks :) I can' take full credit for all of it, I had some help...

Of course, I will give my comments wink.gif

Thats why I made the thread :) Thanks for the quick reply!

I personally prefer Gigabyte or Abit motherboards as I've had bad experiences with ASUS in the past, but if it works for you then it works!

Well, I can't say ASUS has "worked" for me in the past because this would be my first build, but I assume it has worked for many others. I really have no way of leverage towards Gigabye/Abit/ASUS motherboards because I have no experience with them. So any more specifics and opinions are very much appreciated :)

This power supply is also 700W and very good quality, just a little cheaper for you. Thermaltake do have good products in their Toughpower range, though.

I checked out the reviews and specs of these two power supplies and have found minimal differences. How will the following differences effect my set up?
OCZ GameXStream
  • Fans 120mm fan x 1
  • Modular Cabling Support No
  • Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz

Thermaltake
  • Fans Silent 140mm Fan
  • Modular Cabling Support Yes
  • Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz

If you don't do heavy gaming, you could even downgrade the graphics card a bit, I have that card (Gainward) and it's excellent. If you do think it's overboard, try looking for one of these (in stock, of course). Or something like this if you aren't against an ATI card.

Would WoW be considered heavy? Whats Gainward? :)
Why would I be against an ATI card? Do they have a bad reputation?

Would you not need to add a wireless card? And also an OS (i.e. Windows Vista, perhaps)?

Come to think of it, I most likely need a wireless card and an OS.
Any suggestions on the wireless card? If there is a part I want to make sure I get the top of the line, it would be the wireless card! I'm still below my price cap, use that money! :)
I am currently running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) on my laptop and am very satisfied with it. I think thats what i'm sticking with. Should I upgrade to a better form of vista?]

Sorry for writing the novel, but I want to be as specific as possible!

PLEASE NOTE: Help us to help you! Use meaningful titles and descriptions, NOT just "help me".
Describe your issues fully. List any issues and relevant error messages. Detailed posts get better (and faster) replies.

:)

Edited by Bacan, 13 January 2008 - 08:05 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes it's a good response, nice and detailed which makes it easy to get to the nitty-gritty of helping you. I can see james_8970 is also here, so we'll see what he has to say.

In regards to the PSU, simply the OCZ does not have modular cabling, which can be annoying trying to tie up the non-used cables. I believe Corsair also have modular PSU's, I know they are excellent quality. Either of these would most probably be more than enough.

Gainward is a manufacturer of graphics cards.

I only made the comment of being "against" ATI cards if you are an Nvidia fan, I'm not fussed about either brand, as long as it's a good card. Some people say "only ATI" or "only Nvidia". The cards I suggested are all good.

Vista Home Premium is fine, I also have it and love it. For a wireless networking card, I have a Netgear and it worked fantastic right out of the box :)

Troy.

Bacan

Bacan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is 2GB enough memory for me?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145175

I've decided on this one: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Retail

I'll probably just stick with the EVGA.

I was having some home networking troubles and switched from westell to netgear. Huge mistake, the netgear router was the top of the line they had and it refused to work. My experience with Netgear has not been the greatest. Any other suggestions?

Bacan

Bacan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
https://secure.neweg...aryWishList.asp

(My current wishlist)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.ncixus.co...212DBK/Pioneer/
The above burner is better, actually the best. Newegg doesn't offer it at this time for one reason or another, I have it and I'm quite happy with it. Notice it's also perfectly black so it gives a more professional look.

Neither OCZ or Thermalright's PSU's are the best of the bunch, they are mid range PSU's

OCZ is coming out with a new line of PSU's, which I cannot wait for some reviews. At this time if you want the best of the best in terms of PSU's you do need to look towards PC Power and cooling, Seasonic, Silverstone, Zippies and Cosair. Though unless you plan on doing a SLI/crossfire set up in the future, a mid range PSU will be plenty.

Yes 2GB will be lots.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
That wishlist does not work, I believe you need to save it or something.

Especially based on James's comment, I believe that Corsair PSU to be an excellent choice.

If you do not wish to use Netgear (which I do recommend), there are plenty of other brands out there that work well. Dlink is well known, but I haven't used their products myself.

2GB will be plenty enough, although if you have the extra few $$$ an upgrade to 4GB would give a slight benefit, depending on the type of work you do. RAM is reasonably cheap these days, but it's not absolutely necessary at this point in time. Perhaps try with 2GB for now, and upgrade later if you feel the need to do so.

Troy.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have set up a number of D-link product for my friends. It's quite easy to do, if you put time in it. Though if you do encounter some issues - such as how to secure your wireless signal - people on these forums will be glade to help.

Unless you do a lot of multitasking (e.g. operating 2+ monitors on one system) or use photo/video editing programs, 2GB will be plenty.
James

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
If all you're planning to game is WoW then a 7600gt would work well and its pretty cheap, i have an xfx 7600 gt paired with a zerotherm gx815 and it works like a charm, it plays half life 2 at 1280x1024 everything maxed out 30+fps(at AAx4 it does slow down a bit though...), and crysis at 1280x1024 everything medium except shaders it runs at 20-30fps(depending on how much action there is), though if you want to play the latest games a 8800gts (g92) would bring you far. :)

At a $1500 budget if you have leftover money you could try investing it in a water cooling system($200-$300 atleast) :)

I currently have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and it works perfectly fine for me... come to think of it my last motherboard was an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe...

Either way both of em worked perfectly for me(although i did have a bit of trouble with the A8N, i needed the latest bios for a dual core proc and the mobo came with an older bios[i seriously freaked out when i saw a bit of smoke come out of the computer, though i still have no clue why that happened...] i called up asus and they sent me a new one[for $5 bucks shipping or something :)] and it worked flawlessly from then on till it died[i think thats what happened, either that or it was the proc])

Edited by zoneykid, 14 January 2008 - 08:10 AM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

If all you're planning to game is WoW then a 7600gt would work well and its pretty cheap, i have an xfx 7600 gt paired with a zerotherm gx815 and it works like a charm, it plays half life 2 at 1280x1024 everything maxed out 30+fps(at AAx4 it does slow down a bit though...), and crysis at 1280x1024 everything medium except shaders it runs at 20-30fps(depending on how much action there is), though if you want to play the latest games a 8800gts (g92) would bring you far. :)

At a $1500 budget if you have leftover money you could try investing it in a water cooling system($200-$300 atleast) :)

I currently have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and it works perfectly fine for me... come to think of it my last motherboard was an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe...

Either way both of em worked perfectly for me(although i did have a bit of trouble with the A8N, i needed the latest bios for a dual core proc and the mobo came with an older bios[i seriously freaked out when i saw a bit of smoke come out of the computer, though i still have no clue why that happened...] i called up asus and they sent me a new one[for $5 bucks shipping or something :)] and it worked flawlessly from then on till it died[i think thats what happened, either that or it was the proc])

Okay... Since you are confused by acronyms i'd thought I would jump in here for just 1 post... FPS= Frames Per Second when he says AAx4 he means Anti-Aliasing multiplied by 4 "Mobo" Means motherboard. :)

-AgentMES

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
While it looks like a great build, it seems awfully powerful and expensive for the uses you have listed. If WOW is the only game you will be playing on it, you can cut back a lot and save yourself lots of money. You could honestly build a $400 computer more than capable of playing WOW. If you are also into watching movies on your PC, with the money you save you could look into buying a nice new monitor, or maybe even an HDTV to connect your PC to.

Just trying to save you some cash. Why send one million soldiers into battle when one hundred could do the job?