Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

just one file...

• Please log in to reply

McRainSouth99

McRainSouth99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
alright. long story short, my computer is dead. there are probably tons of viruses on it and honestly, my computer doesnt really matter that much to me anymore because now i have a laptop that i use. however, this semester i have to do a research paper. last year i did a project in my english class on animal testing and all of my info is on that computer. im going to do my research paper on animal testing as well and i REALLY need my stuff from last year. so basically i only want to get the one file that has all my information compiled. is there any way that i could simply get just that one thing?? i dont need a whole system fix or anything. is there someplace i could go?? or would i have to get like the geek squad to come to my house?? thanks :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A couple ways you could do it.
1. Slave the drive to another desktop computer.
2. Purchase a USB hard drive enclosure and attach it to the laptop. You would remove the drive from the desktop, put it in the enclosure, and plug in to the laptop. You will then be able to get your files off of it.

This is probably the best way, because you can then use it as a backup drive.