Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dlink Router is a pain in my butt!

• Please log in to reply

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
:) I Have been in contact with D-link customer support for over two weeks now and they have resolved nothing. First for my wireless PCI card, which I thought was the problem. Then, I called about my router..which I believe is the problem. I have a Compaq Presario running Windows Xp Home edition version 2002 with service pack 2. I am trying to connect to a D-link WBR 2310 which I am hardwired to at this point and am still having connectivity issues. I can connect to the internet after I freshly turn on my computer but then after a random amount of time it will come up with the error: Limited to no connectivity. Then when I try to repair I get an error about how it cannot renew my IP address. The only option I have is to restart my computer and then it will work for a short amount of time again. As stated I have been in contact with D-link, I have bridged my modem and now they are just not helping me at all anymore saying if I have internet at all then it is not their fault. Also there are three other labtops connected to this router wirelessly and another PC who is having similiar issues.
PLEASE SOMEONE, ANYBODY! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Advertisements

helpmeplease360

helpmeplease360

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I wouldn't go Linksys's way if you want good customer support. Even during US work hours (at least on the weekends-don't know about weekdays) you still get a barely speaking english- Indian :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Dlink is correct, if you can get on the INTERNET for a short period of time it is not there fault.
Please tell me what happens, exactly, with the other three computers.

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well with D-link they only know how to do basic trouble shooting that I could have figured out myself. They do not speak English and you wait for a minimum of 30 minutes no matter what time you call. Today I had a man hang up on me because he said the router was working and he couldn't help me because he was not here. I just want this fixed so I can have a reliable network connection. I will gte help wherever I can! D-link support is useless though.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK, If you want to fix this I will try to help you.

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The other three are laptops which link to the router wirelessly and have no issues at all. The other desktop is linking wirelessly and has the same issues. Again I am hardwired into the router from my computer.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK, we have eliminated the Dlink as the problem.
Please;
  • click on the start button
  • select control panel
  • open system
  • select hardware
  • select device manager
  • right click the Ethernet adapter
  • select properties
  • select update driver
You will have to do this during the short time that you can connect to the INTERNET

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I did that and then tried to update 1394 net adapter and VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and the wizard said it could not find a better match for either, so neither needed to be updated apparently.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • please click on the start button
  • select run
  • type cmd
When the command prompt window opens
  • type ipconfig\release
  • type ipconfig\renew
Also would you tell me what firewall you are running and what security setting you have?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Are you using AOL, or dial up?

Advertisements

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did both the config \release and the config \renew. However right after my computer came up with the error limited to no connectivity. I tried to unplug the wire and plug it back into the back of my computer to reset, but that did not work. I was resetting my Ipod at the time so I could not restart my whole computer. So obviously those two commands did not help. I am using Comodo firewall with custom settings and I am using Verizon DSL as my internet service provider. Thanks for the Help!

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
NEW ERROR: The old issue is still not fixed and then today when I was online I had a error pop up that said conflict with another system on the network. The popup went away and there was no issue detected in my internet connections, however I could not access the internet and again when I tried to repair (even though it did not detect an issue). I got the same message that windows could not finish repairing the problem because it could not renew my IP address. So basically it is getting worse rather than better. UGH! I have tried to reboot multiple times and there was no change. I have not been able to go online and when I try to connect using my wireless it just says acquiring network address and freezes there for a long time and then comes up with limited to no connectivity. So I completely shut down everything and restarted and now it is working for the time being. Please anyone help me resolve this as soon as possible. Thanks so much! Also my LAN connection didn’t show any errors this event even though I could not do anything it said on the general page:
And on support it says:
Address type: Assigned by DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.0.104
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
I do not know if it is an issue that the DHCP is assigning me my IP since it is now on a PPPoE status. But any help would be appreciated.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Does verizon allow 5 computer to use your INTERNET connection? sounds like maybe 1 of the other 4 is knocking you off. Since you are hardwired this should not happen, but a conflict with another computer on the network can be troubleshooted by turning off the INTERNET connection 1 at a time to find out where the conflict is.

IHateDlinkSupport

IHateDlinkSupport

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I don't think that is the issue since it is more a transient thing. So I would think if I was being canceled I would never get online. I am on my computer and it is working for the moment. We need to have five computers hooked up so there has to be some way for this to work. Also it must be a desktop thing since all the labtops work fine...there must be some setting we are missing.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK on both desktops open the command prompt again, type in ipconfig and look at both of the ip address.
Are they the same? I am looking for the digits in the last set E.G. 198.162.0.101