Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

space missing

• Please log in to reply

johannly

johannly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i have a toshiba satellite a215-s7472
comes with 250 gigas but there's some space missing i wanna take

i wanna format n do a fresh install of vista premium i have a partition called EISA
that has 1.46 gigas i wanna delete it, but im not sure if i can or what should i do
i wonder where there other space is gone

Posted Image

as can b seen adding all the partitions gives 232.88 gigas

36.11 gigas C:/
195.31 gigas D:/
1.46 gigas EISA

this r the aspects of my laptop if someone wanna check

http://www.toshibadi...amp;coid=-33935

my questions r
_where r the other 17.12 gigas gone ?
_what is that EISA partition well i saw is about some tools but what is it useful for me
or why should i keep it
_can i delete that partition of EISA i wanna recover all my space

i accept suggestions about what could b better

thx

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
The reason you see a different amount of storage space is in how a Giga Byte is measured.
A GigaByte is 1024=Megabytes a MegaByte is 1024,000 Bytes.
Sometimes it is measured as 1000x1000,000, so there is 1 billion Bytes insted of a GigaByte.
I would not erase any part of your hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi johannly...

As hfcg explained, it's all in how the manufacturer determines the size...then they usually round up to the nearest even number.

The partition you wish to utilize is the recovery partition and contains the files necessary to recover your system should it crash catastrophically. I would highly recommend you leave it as it is. There is also some unreported space on the drive that holds the boot sector...there's not much you can do about that if you want the machine to start and run.

The 232.88GB sounds about right for a drive said to be 250GB...and this will vary a little by manufacturer.

The best way to gain some space on this machine would be to add an external HDD.

wannabe1