Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Powering on issue

• Please log in to reply

siempre_fancy

siempre_fancy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am having an issue with another computer powering it on. It is an HP 2GHz, 512 RAM, with XP and when I push the power button to turn it on, all that happens is the button flashes continually, nothing ever comes up on the screen, I have switched out monitors, monitor is good. PC just doesn't boot up. This started after a power surge in my house. PC was powered through a surge protector, but I think that wasn't enough.

Problem is, I don't even know where to start with trying to fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SF

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Sounds like you may need a new power supply. I changed one out one time. Not my area of expertise, but does the fan come on at all when you power it on?

siempre_fancy

siempre_fancy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No the fan doesn't turn on at all.

I will put a new power supply in it and let you know how it turns out! Thanks!
SF

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I bought one at CompUSA for about $40 a few years ago. There are some tutorials floating around that can walk you through it. Someone more experienced may come by and have some more input. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I agree if the fan is not spinning most likely the psu took a hit and hopefully thats all.

A standard atx psu will work in most hp models but you have to watch that it fits in the case, with most atx psu's there is not enough room between thwe back of the optical drive and the psu. Get the dimensions of the new psu before you purchase and measure that it fits.

directron.com has replacements for some hp psu, post your model number and I can give you some ideas