Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP vs Win 2000 quick shutdown on laptop

• Please log in to reply

oldtoot

oldtoot

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a IBM Thinkpad T23 running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 that has a setting in the Power Options dialog box that allows me to completely shut down the laptop upon closing the lid as well as the usual standby and hibernate options. I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 running Win XP that has the do nothing, standby and hibernate options when closing the lid but no shutdown option. Is there a tweak in Windows XP or a standalone program that would give me the option to have the Dell shut down when I close the lid? Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Until/if you find an answer, you could create a shortcut in your QuickLaunch toolbar to shutdown your computer with a single click. Not the same I know but one click and close the lid seems a reasonable alternative for now.

The shortcut would point to a batch file that would have the following single line in it:

shutdown -s

If that doesn't work because one or more applications hang the shutdown process, you could use:

shutdown -f -s