Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc loading/freezing strangely

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi, recently my computer has started to take a lot longer to load up after just being turned on
not only does it take a lot longer, but randomly in the first 5-10mins of being turned on, the screen will go black and then slowly load back parts of the desktop, programs taht are open etc

it seems like the computer cant handle loading everyithng at once so it has to slow down and reload everything again.

i thought it could be related to RAM or overheating of pc but not sure

i used to have a similar problem where computer was overheated so i would open the pc case and put an external household fan onto the computer which cooled it down but caused the screen to wobble and have to reload itself.

not sure if any of this makes sense, but sounds like it couold be a common problem
thansk for help in advance

Advertisements

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
when was the last time you defraged and scanned for viruses? (just covering the basics)

if the fan blowing into the open case didnt help(dont put the fan -in- the case)... and there is no dust caked up on the inside... then i dont think its overheat (unless something has gone so wrong that it needs to be replaced)....

you might try a registry cleaner ... download tuneup utilities and run 'one click mantinence'... unfortunatly the software is a 30day trial but the fixes it does from running it even once can help...

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
i used the Oneclick program and have corrected errors in my computer (there were no errors in my registry) and performed a defragmentation.

after all this my computer still has the same problem. screen resolution and colours change randomly when i turn on my computer and occasionaly my screen seems to go on standby and then loads back on loading each part of the screen again.

when i scroll down in web browsers the screen looks wobbly
no idea what is wrong or how to fix this
can anyone suggest anything else??

could this be related to RAM. maybe computer cant handle loading everything on screen so it drops the resolution and changes the size to make it easier or SEOMTHING??

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Please tell us more about the computer, if its a brand computer give us the name and model plus anything added the was hardware related, if its a custom build give use the complete specs.

Does the computer act like this in safe mode?

Do you have all your important data backed up? If not try and do so.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
its a pakard bell pentium 4

there is only 256mb ram in it and running windows XP so guessing that RAM is defintly a problem here. i often get the message 'you are running on very low amounts of virtual memory, windows is increasing paging file' etc

ill buy more RAM and see how it goes

do i hve to buy another 256mb RAM or can i randomly just add 1GIG to it?
anything else to know about adding RAM to pc?

in some settings thing i found on my pc it says
Reccommended Paging size: 382MB
Currently Allocated: 586MB
im guessing my computer cant handle this and is why it struggles to load
even when i open my computer it has to browse for a few seconds until it loads everything

Edited by BS_1, 16 January 2008 - 08:20 AM.

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
increase the size of your page file... and set the minimum and maximum at the same size (so it doesnt change sizes) ... if you have 1gig free on the harddrive then set the pagefile to 1024...

from http://support.micro....com/kb/308417;

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type sysdm.cpl in the Open box.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Performance.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change under Virtual memory.
4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...
screenshot should look like mine...

as for the ram go here click on scan my system...and they will tell you what ram is compatible with your system...

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Its very important that you post the information happyrck has requested

Do you know how to use msconfig in diagnostic mode to shut down some of the startup programs? If you do I would try it and disable some if there are a ton of them running.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do what Doby advised...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you will have to be more selective or your touchpad and other things won't work...

do what Mephitus advised also...set the swap size to 1024 ...for the min and the max...

you will need to start doing what we advise you to do AND report back with any changes to your computer...

list all the specs for your computer...you can use EVEREST to find them...

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
ok i changed the swap sizes both to 1024

i unchecked all startup programs that werent related to my AV and firewalls

attached are a pic of the specs of my pc and also the fan temperatures etc.

lately i havent really been having the problem anymore with freezing and restarting. im guessing teh defragmentation and paging file change helped with this plus a few anti spyware scans using AVG

i wont be buying ram straight away but i scanned my pc with the www.crucial site and it says currently my pc would be working at a quarter of its potential due to RAM

Attached Thumbnails

• pc_heatt.JPG
  • periphs.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your temps and voltage's are good...

this will also help your speed
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

XP will run on 512 MB of ram ok... BUT 1 GB is the sweet spot

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
ive used CCleaner and its freed up another 70mb of things.

the problem seems to have gone away fully now, my computer is back to lagging like normal when starting up and doesnt seem to lag at any other time.

however, (probably not related to this problem) sometimes just having one youtube video open can lag my Firefox until i have to Ctrl Alt Delete it or just wait 5minutes until it has loaded enough to be able to be closed
also some of the youtube videos dont load and say that i 'dont have the latest Adobe Flash player installed' and get given a link from the youtube site to the flash player site where even after downloading the latest flash player the videos still dont work. my friends on their pcs are able to watch these videos and i dont know if there is any update i need to play these.

other than that the main problem is solved, so far,
my computer heat and voltages would look good in that last scan since it was a cold night but on hot days ive seen some of the temperatures rise just above 50degrees, and i have only started having these problems since summer started.
ill let you know if the problem comes back and if its a hot day etc

OTHERWISE thanks for all your help

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Glad things are working better, all the guys pitched in and gave you alot of great suggestions that have paid off.

I also suggest you upgrade the ram to at least 512 like happyrck suggested eairer that should take some more of that lag away.

Adobe has a removel tool on there website, try removing the flash player and reinstalling, I had the same problem till I read some where that you have to use there unistaller, add/remove programs don't cut it

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
i removed the old adobe flash player using the uninstall file that i found on the site, then i installed the new flash player and still i have the same problem, but again its only with certain videos. is there any other plugins or anytihng that i might need for this to work?