Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

learn programing?

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is a good point Granz but I don't think it works like that exactly. I started on C and moved on the VB.NET and now I am on to C#. I have by no means mastered any of these languages but I can say that with the more knowledge I have of one language the faster I pick up on the next.

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
11, just curious but what do you plan to do if you learn a programming language? :)

-Agent

P.S. I am currently learning PHP and MYSQL and will be learning CSS... Got alot of work ahead of me. :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The OP you are referring to has only made this post over two months ago and has not been around since....

PHP knowledge really could have helped me at work today.

Edited by Titan8990, 21 March 2008 - 05:11 PM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

PHP knowledge really could have helped me at work today.

Why's that titan?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I was trying to install mediawiki on a Vista machine using IIS. This is not supported by mediawiki and after hours of trying to make PHP and MySQL work correctly we encountered an syntax error in the mediawiki code. Most likely from incompatibility but nonetheless, we were all crouded around my machine looking at php code none of us knew how to read...

coyne20

coyne20

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Merr is so right!

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I was trying to install mediawiki on a Vista machine using IIS. This is not supported by mediawiki and after hours of trying to make PHP and MySQL work correctly we encountered an syntax error in the mediawiki code. Most likely from incompatibility but nonetheless, we were all crouded around my machine looking at php code none of us knew how to read...

After trying to make a PHP installer for an open-source project I'm helping with, I've found that PHP's syntax is very similar to C++.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I recommend starting off by learning an "easy" language such as VB. That's what I started with and have since moved up to Java. I found that VB gave me a good understanding of simple programming concepts, and they seemed to stay with me when I moved up to OOP like Java.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Just a quick word of advice, start off with a real, solid PROGRAMMING language. None of this SCRIPTING language business. That means no JavaScript, Perl, Ruby, or PHP. They are too limited and will only teach you a few elementary concepts that will carry over to serious programming.

As others have said, C++ is a great starting place for the serious programmer. It is one of the most powerful and widely used languages in existence.
However, if you're just looking to get your feet wet and don't yet know whether or not you will enjoy programming, I would recommend C#. It's a great language and one of the most powerful next to C and C++. Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE is the best around and will help you a ton not only with the actual programming but also with learning to make clean, self-documenting code, which is an important, often-neglected part of programming. Also you'll find C++ much easier after learning C#. This is an excellent C# tutorial once you've gotten set up (it doesn't walk through the setup process at all; might want to google around for that. It's no rocket science or anything though)

Whatever you choose, just stick with it and ASK OTHERS. Don't let yourself stop just because you get frustrated; there are huge communities out there to help you learn.
Good luck and happy programming!