Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to upgrade my CPU

• Please log in to reply

Khazrek

Khazrek

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i wanna upgrade my CPU but... do i need to do anything really special? i have K9N SLI Platinum and have Core processor AMD +4200 dual core and i wanna get http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103191 AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ same processor but a higher grade. so do i need to do anything special or can i just pop it right in with no problems? I was talking with one persion who said i needed to reformat my HD so i have no clue what to do ugh anyone know?

Advertisements

audiospade86

audiospade86

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello Khazrek, and welcome to Geeks To Go!

i am still in Geek in training but here is some info on how to accomplish what you want.

1.Make sure it is compatible with your motherboard.

2.make sure you have these items ready: Grounding wire or bracelet connector. Thermal compound. proper screw drivers and a Dust can.

*** Now upgrading your CPU is really not that difficult however always use extreme caution. and be sure to handle with care. ***

Steps to Upgrade a CPU

* Shut down the computer, and unplug all accessories attached to it.
* Continue by unplugging the computer completely from its power source, and "ground" yourself.
* Remove the screws holding the computer's cover in place.
* Remove the cover and place it gently to the side.
* Locate the computer's motherboard with different components attached to it.
* The motherboard will be connected to the heatsink and fan, which protects the computer from overheating.
* Remove the heatsink, and your computer's CPU will be located below it. (Make sure to wipe down and clean the thermal compound off.)
* When the old CPU is visible, remove this old one by lifting up the tab holding it in place, and lifting it out.
* The new CPU can be inserted by matching it correctly into position.
* Push down the tab to hold the new CPU into position. It is important to exercise extreme care when upgrading a CPU, because it is a fragile piece of computer equipment. The Cpu should never have to be forced in.
* A thin layer of thermal compound should be applied before placing the heatsink back into position. This thermal compound is used to ensure a better connection between the CPU and the heatsink.
* Afterwards, the heatsink can be reinstalled, and the fan's wire reattached to the motherboard.
* The next step would be to confirm everything is properly connected, before closing the computer again.
* Plug your computer into its power source, and attach all the accessories, which were removed in the beginning, and turn the computer on.
* Now check to make sure your CPU fan is spinning and go into your computers bios and check and make sure that the CPU Temp is not rising dramatically.
* When you are satisfied with the connections, screw the computer's cover back into place, after removing the "grounding" cable.
* And thats it Congratulations on your new install!

Hope that helped!

Khazrek

Khazrek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you : )