Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system crash. Won't reboot. Not recognizing SATA drive.

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
My brother's PC, which I built about two years ago, crashed the other day as he was downloading songs from ITunes. Every time he tried to reboot it would check the volume because of a bad shut-down, complete the check and then reboot again. It would just keep doing this loop. I tried booting into safe mode but it would get to the screen where it shows all the files loading and then freeze. I tried running the Windows disk to do a repair but it couldn't find the hard drive. Figuring the SATA drivers went bye, bye. I made a floppy image of the drivers from the SiS website. I tried the Windows disk again, but hit F6 to load the SATA drivers. It was then able to find the drive. I went into the repair and ran chkdsk which took over an hour to complete, but it said it found errors and repaired them. I figured I was good to go so I rebooted the machine, only to have the same loop happen all over again. It doesn't even get to the splash screen. It shows the initial boot screen, the BIOS info etc... Then it just starts all over again. I can't even boot into safe mode. I put my IDE drive in as the boot drive and can boot into safe mode. I left my brother's in as additional storage and I am able access the files on the disk that way. I took my drive out, leaving the SATA drive as the only volume again. I tried to run the Windows disk and, just as before, it says that no hard disk is installed. It won't seem to hold the SATA drivers when I load them while running the XP disk.

Is the drive shot as far as being the system drive? Am I not reloading the SATA drivers properly? I really don't want to have to reformat. Like I said it's only two years old.

Here are his specs:

ASUS K8S-MX (SiS 965L chipset) with an AMD64 3000+ processor
Hitachi 160GB HDD
1GB corsair RAM (2X512MB)
ATI radeon 9600XT 128MB video
Win XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if/when you get his computer to boot...do this ..
Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error. For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD (blue screen of death). But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem. In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab...
Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings... to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK the necessary number of times...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

go here and see if this will help get you booted up..

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
The problem is that I can't boot at all. I try reinstalling the SATA/RAID drivers using the F6 option when running the WinXP disc. I install the drivers, try to reboot and it goes right back to telling me there is no drive installed, even though it recognized it after I installed the drivers. It seems like the SATA drivers disappear as soon as I reboot after installing them. Therefore I can't get anywhere near Windows. Just as a lark I connected an IDE drive and formatted it to be the system drive. It booted fine. I then added the SATA drive as added storage and I was able to see all the files. Naturally none of the host programs worked any longer.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Goto the hardrive manufactures website and get their diagnostic tools, you create a bootable cd or floppy with these tools to test the drive, follow the instructions on the website and run the long version