Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless laptop, no longer connecting to wireless network (Unable to c

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi there,

My friend often brings his laptop round to my home and browses on the wireless network. Lately he has had problems with windows and done a full system restore and reinstallation of windows. He reinstalled the necessary drivers for his laptop hardware which we got directly from HP's website. The model is HP Pavillion DV6000.

Recently, he cannot connect to my home network due to the following errors:

1) Unable to contact your DHCP server when I do ipconfig/renew
2)Will not renew IP address when attemtpting to repair the network
3)Assigns a private IP address beginning with 169.XX.XX.XX

Things I have tried :

1) Disabling APIPA through regedit
2)Making sure DHCP is enabled through regedit
3)Setting up static IP address which only helps with file sharing, the internet does not work
4)Resetting my router
5)Disabling windows firewall, this is the only firewall I use as I do not agree with them
6)I have ran LSPfix.exe and winsockxpfix.exe on the laptop

The basic thing is that the DHCP seems uncontactable however I have my own devices which connect fine.

Please help.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
How is the wireless signal (Low, Good, Very Good) on your friends wireless laptop to your network?

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply.

it has a strong connection. I managed to repair for a very short time where I managed to get the dhcp to assign an address by removing the encryption from the wireless network. But that was only temporary and now does it not only not work, but it is also constatnly stuck on the "acquiring network address" state when I try to connect.

Edited by icikle, 14 January 2008 - 10:25 AM.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i recently ran winsockxpfix again and it worked but when i rebooted it didnt work again, something weird is going on here. Its not even possible to have any malware since its fresh off a system restore and hasnt been able to get on the internet since.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It sounds like it may be a flaky driver or a problem with the hardware itself. Who is the manufacturer of the chipset?