Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comcast Digital Voice and similar VOIP service

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this topic.

I have a question about Comcast Digital Voice service and other similar VOIP services such as Vonage that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere.

What I want to know is----does it work in such a way that I have to plug a phone I want to work into the adapter they provide in order for it to get a signal? Meaning only the phones physically connected to the adapter will work?

Or does it somehow transform my existing phone jacks throughout the house into VOIP jacks so that any phone that is plugged into a normal phone jack will work with the VOIP service?

Thank you,
mike.

Advertisements

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
its only the phones plugged into the adapter they give you that will work VoIP... the ones in the wall will still go to your phone company...

tip; use a cordless phone with a remote charging dock... (look at radioshack)

there technically is a way to get it to work with the lines in the wall but such a modification is a novice no-no (due to the potential 'shock' value) so it wont be covered here... but if you feel up to it... and you -own- the domicile... and you dont have regular phone service anymore; ask...

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thank you for your reply. I figured that would be the answer, but I wanted to be sure.