Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

No Control Panel or Administrator log in? Help

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a couple simple problems.
1. I cannot find the control panel anywhere in my computer in order to change programs/settings. How can I find it?
2. How can I log on as system administrator. I tried switching users and there weren't any other users to switch to. So I cannot access certain programs without getting in as administrator. (cannot download new flash players, etc.)Or do I need to call my internet provider to get this help?
3. I have ActiveX controls all set to disable and prompt and am always getting warnings and seeing pages that won't really open all the way. How can I remedy that without putting my securtity at risk?

All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ben

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Hi bensgig, welcome.

For #1, you can click on Start then Run, type control and press Enter. That should open the Control Panel for you.

For #2, boot to Safe Mode by pressing F5 or F8 during boot. Login as Administrator (no password), Open Control Panel (as described above) then open User Accounts. Click on "Change my account type" and make it Administrator or create a new account and give it Administrator authority.

For #3, stop using Internet Explorer. Instead, install Mozilla FireFox. It has no ActiveX support, period. Install the IETab extension for those times when you absolutely must use IE.