Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is SQL Server?

• Please log in to reply

Termie

Termie

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm posting this here, because I really don't know where else to put it, and because I can only assume this service must have been installed on my system as part of XP when it came to me from Dell. I know *I* didn't install it. But it's there, and it's the ONLY error message I have left on my Event Viewer. I have XP Pro with SP2 installed.

I get the message that "The SQL Server Active Directory Helper service terminated with service-specific error 3221225572 (0xC0000064)." I have no idea what this relates to, but on Googling for information, I come across something that say that this should run as a local service, and I happened to note that mine was set for NT Service...or whatever you call it. Anyway, I'm not running my system as a server, so I have no idea why it's on there or if I should get rid of it or what. I did set this service to run local but it looks like there are three other related SQL thingamajigs on there, two of which are set for NT. I sposed I screwed with something I shouldn't have, but considering it wasn't exactly running anyway, I assume no harm done.

Can somebody enlighten me as to what this service actually DOES (nothing I've found on Google was any help, mostly because I a) couldn't quite understand what was written and therefore b) could not understand how it relates to ME.

Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated! :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's part of Microsoft SQL Server. It's basically a database program, like MySQL (a free one). It's primary use is as a back end for web servers I believe. I use the free MySQL with PHP for my web server.

Do you see anything like Microsoft SQL Server in Add or Remove Programs or in Start / Programs? If so and you are not using it then uninstall it. That should get rid of the error you are seeing.

Termie

Termie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sorry for the delayed reply, ZT...thanks. Yes, I do see them-there are four-SQL Server 2005, SQL Server Native Client, SQL Server Setup Support Files, and SQL Server VSS Writer.

As for not using it...no, I don't knowingly use it but I do note that the SQL Server Configuration Manager frequently pops up on my Start menu-in the spot where the programs that have been recently used are, above "All Programs" (you know what I mean, I'm sure...) so I get the impression that something must be using it, but what? Or is it that my system automatically tries starting it according to the settings its been given, and since I keep seeing that error, that perhaps that might be the reason why I see it on that menu?

I've stopped seeing this error, so I guess I did the right thing in changing it to local, but if I can just get rid of it entirely, I'd rather do that. Should I start in any particular order (for instance, remove VSS Writer and work up?)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you list the applications installed on your PC, then maybe someone would know what uses SQL.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One way to get a list of installed software is to run yet another program, called Belarc Advisor. It will tell you more about your computer than you want to know, but at the bottom is a list of installed software.

You could copy that then paste it here for jaxisland (and others) to see.

System Information fro Windows (SIW) is another program that has this info and there is no installation, you just run it. Either will work.

Termie

Termie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Removed information from dropped thread.

Edited by Termie, 27 January 2008 - 07:16 AM.