Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 2 crash!

• Please log in to reply

MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, could someone please let me know where the 'Complete Manual Uninstall' can be found for this software.

I was playing as usual when this crappy FX5600 graphics card crashed (again)+(I was blessed with this overheating card, tried +ing a fan, no avail).

Now when this happens its a reach for the power as this is the only method that will re-boot the card and give me control back. You know what Im gonna say here don't ya, yep! you guessed it the game won't play now.
It seems to be hanging every time it tried to access the internet. I have ZoneAlarm installed and I have been using this for years with no trouble so I guess this is a TCP error within the COD2 software? (maybe an opened file)
I've uninstalled/reinstalled to no avail, I guess it's leaving some bits around somewhere. Tried to find a manual uninstall but ???

If anyone can shed a little light here I would appeciate - or perhaps point to a manual uninstall listing ALL files.

Cheers Dudes, happy killin

:)

Phil

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are you able to run the uninstall from add/remove programs?

Run the uninstall and then go to your install location. Normally its c:\program files\activision\call of duty 2\
delete the cod2 folder.

At this point you should be ok.

If you can't run the uninstall then remove the folder as specified above. then do the following:
Go to Start, Run and enter regedit

When the Registry editor is opened please make a backup of your registry> you can view instructions here on how to perform a backup.

Next you need to navigate to HKEY_local_machine\software\activision. Under that key you should see Call of duty 2 listed. Select cod2 and then delete.

You should now be able to reinstall.

MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm, I have done all that except the Registration Key, I shall do and return!

oh Thanks for the advice, perhaps I can show my gratitude by kicking your [bleep] in a game later (hopefully) :)

Phil

MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, the Call of Duty 2 is now uninstalled,

I have deleted 1 file from
LocalDrive > Programs > Activision > Call of Duty2

I have gone to RegEdit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software
however there is NO activision entry or key to delete,

Should there be one there or will the Uninstaller already have deleted it?

If the answer is it has already deleted it then a further install will fail as I have already tried this with no joy.

If the answer is no it should be there then this could be the problem Im having! (ok I just wan't to look cool eh!)

MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It would appear I have a more serious problem. I have tried to load Battlefieeld 1942 and connected to a server, the game was slow and eventually locked up, so I quit out, re-boot and tried again with another server - this time the game locked up exactly as the Call of duty did, ie game froze, cursor changed to system one and couldn't call anything up including Task Manager.(system lockup).

I then tried a non-internet game that also utilizes Direct X to see if it was that that was causing it. This game played ok.

What I have so far is:-

Everytime I load a game that plays internet games it locks up when trying to connect. Two tested BF1942, COD2
I have no problem browsing/email,

Is there a possibility Punk Buster could be corrupted in some way????