Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop won't enter standby or hibernate

• Please log in to reply

jazzhands

jazzhands

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, basically all of a sudden my laptop won't go into standby or hibernate. I had just been using my laptop as normal throughout the day, shutting the lid to put it into standby when I wasn't using it, and on one occasion I did this and it didn't standby. There have been no error messages at all and I looked to see whether any Power Management features had been inadvertently changed but to no avail. I've also tried manually going to standby through the start menu. The standby option always appears and I can click on it but nothing happens when I do, so it's not even that it goes to standby briefly and then powers up again. I've rebooted several times and I've looked on various sites for solutions but have had no luck. It'd be great if someone could help me! I'm running XP Home.

Thanks, Amy.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you recently installed some software or driver since the last time standby worked okay? Some software which runs in the background (eg a device driver but also some utility software that runs in the system tray) is not compatible with standby mode which effectively means it prevents standby from executing.

Edited by pip22, 15 January 2008 - 02:53 AM.

jazzhands

jazzhands

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, no I hadn't installed anything when it had stopped working. Actually, yesterday all of a sudden my laptop would go into standby so I thought it had sorted itself out somehow. However, today the problem is back again!