Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply

medic617

medic617

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
First the system info, ECS Elitegroup 848P-A mobo w/ a P4 3.0gHz, ATI graphics card. Tried to upgrade the ram (DDR 400) from 1 gb to its max of 2gb. Prior to installing the new ram module the pc worked just fine. After I installed the new ram the pc would power up with no display, thougth I smelled burning wires at first, turned off the pc and made sure the dimm's were seated properly. No more burning odor now but when I power on the pc it emits a long beep for a few seconds then stops and continous to do so until I power it down. I have tried both dimm's together and individually and also tried without memory installed. Now I'm stumped, any suggestions? All the fans seem to be working so I know the mobo is getting power, even tried clearing the cmos, no luck.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Clear the cmos again by removing the motherboard battery with the macnine unpluged for 15 minutes then Try the original stick of ram by itself, if no go try another dimm.

Its possible that the ram was not seated properly and damaged the motherboard, the beep you are getting indicates the system cannot find usable memory, very sorry if this is the case

medic617

medic617

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think the CPU went bad, possibly because the DIMM didn't seat right. I pulled the 4 pin power connector for the CPU and the beep went away, plug it back in and the beep returns. I tried to pull the CPU to check it and when I pulled the fan and heatsink the CPU came with it without me releasing from teh mobo. Come to find out the CPU was stuck to the heatsink and the thermal paste was dried up, sounds like it might have overheated. Thanks for your help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I doubt the cpu is bad, check it over after cleaning, look for blueness or burnt edges it none I don't think its bad. Having trouble removing the heatsink can happen depending on the thermal paste used, but never force it that it will pull it out of the socket. Instead use a hair drier to warm it foe easy removal

I have seen several times when removing the 4 pin atx12V causes the system to act differently and each time it was a bad motherbosrd.

My bet bad mobo

knuckawalka

knuckawalka

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having similar problems,,,i thought if front panel power button worked (off after 4 seconds) mo bo was good. I used psu on another older computer without the 4 pin, and system was fine... newbie here.