Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dll.s have been removed from windows

• Please log in to reply

moyra

moyra

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi everyone

PLEASE HELP. at startup disc check ? came up and said it needed to check the disc and deleted a heap of dll's now nothing will work, have i got a virus, trojan or hacker?
Now when computer boots up it tells me that 4 or 5 dll's are missing and programs will not start.

got hijack this and run it. posted to the link you sent but must have done something wrong... sorry i am not a puter wizz, have no idea really but am learning with the problems i have had

Edited by moyra, 15 January 2008 - 03:24 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you can still get Windows to run I recommend you download 'HijackThis' from here:
http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

Run it to produce a log-file and post it here:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

The log shows everything that's currently running on your PC, including malware if any.
Don't attempt to analyse the log yourself or 'fix' anything with it. This requires expert knowledge which is available only on the malware forum of GeeksToGo! (the link I've pasted above). Please don't post the log-file anywhere else on GeeksToGo! otherwise it won't receive the proper expert attention.

Edited by pip22, 15 January 2008 - 02:42 AM.

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
got ijack this and posted it in the link you sent. first time i got an error message so i did it again. hopefully this time i got it right.
please let me know if i got it in the right place

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Moyra, I don't see your post in the Malware forum. All I see is one from 12 Sep 2005 and 5 Jan 2008. Nothing for today or yesterday.

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
thank you for your reply ztruker but i had to re-format my hardrive and do a complete re-install. i was reading one of the replies for someone else and found i had been trying to do a repair with xp the wrong way so i went in and did it the right way only to find that i ended up in a loop with xp repair restarting over and over again. it wouldnt log on in safe mode and just kept going back to restarting the repair. the only way out of it was to do a complete re-install. whatever virus i had it was a doozy.
I purchased virus protection C.A security and have installed windows defender. can you suggest anything else that i can do to protect my computer?
it is a great site and the work you do is fantastic.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Moyra, this is what I run to protect my system from malware. They are all free and do an excellent job.

AVG Free anti-virus
Comodo Firewall
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster

I also have Ad-Aware 2007 but I have not run it in over a year. I keep it up to date just in case though.

If I'm concerned about a possible malware infection, I run one or two of the following online scanners as well:

All these scanners require you to use Internet Explorer because they need to install an ActiveX component to run the scan.

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
thank you for the extra tips i will find them and install what you recommended.
I hope I dont have to come back and bother you people any time in the near future haha. have a good day

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No bother at all. This is what I and many others here do for fun (I know, I know, get a life :) ).

One of the joys of doing this though is how much I learn in the process.

Take care and good luck.

PS: Since you purchased CA eTrust, leave off AVG Free. It's not a good idea to have two AV programs running as they tend to interfere with each other.

Edited by Ztruker, 17 January 2008 - 08:08 PM.

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
thanks for the info... wish i knew enough to help others too. I love working on the computer and working things out, just dont know enough like you to do anybody any good lol.
ok thanks again
moyra