Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CDROM. MEMORY, REGISTRY ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

linsteve

linsteve

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed 2 memory chips at 1024 Mb each to replace my old 256 MB and now a slew of problems has arisen...coincidence? For one, my cd drive is all of the sudden missing (E drive), internet explorer is missing (yet it still shows up in the control panel programs), and I think I messed with the registry and now its all a mess...can anyone help me?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi linsteve...

Have you tried restoring your computer to an earlier time using the System Restore feature? If it's a registry problem, that will usually straighten things out.

wannabe1

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
After doing the System Restore, since this started after the memory upgrade, remove the 2GB of memory, put the 256MB back and see how the computer behaves. If better then install 1 stick of memory and try it. If ok, install the other. That way you will be able to tell if one of the new sticks of memory is defective, which does happen unfortunately.