Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer turns on but screen is blank

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
When i turn on my my computer the fans run so does led. But no image until 2 min. Then it freezes at bios and boot menu screen where it says (Hp,Gateway,Viao) or whatever you have. So I thought it was the power supply so I changed it and it worked for a week. But then it broke again so I took out the motherboard and found a screw under it so I thought the motherboard shortened. So I got a another power supply yesterday but nothing happened same problem. Please someone Help. :)

Advertisements

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
a screw was under the mobo?? ....... i hate to say it but your mobo is most likely toast... the cpu and any add-on cards should (cpu might be damaged too depending on screw position) still be ok... but you are going to need a new mobo...

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
A screw under the mobo is not good news. Was the screw stuck under or was it loose and when you opened it did it fall there? If it was loose then it could be ok because the bottom has a thin layer of lack to protect it.

You mention that the computer fans and light go on.
Does the computer beep?
Try and leave only the mobo cpu and ram connected and see what happens.

Can you post more details of your system?

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well the screw was loose and flying around and there was banging whenever i moved the case. Also the computer makes no beeps so i thought it was the video card but the screen still loads after 2 min. sometimes
my system specs are
AMD Athlon 64 3700 2GHz,
819 mb DDR,
200GB HDD
DVD±RW DL
Flash Media Reader
Windows Media Center 2005

thanks for the answers guys. :)

Edited by frankthetank, 15 January 2008 - 07:18 AM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try to leave only the cpu and ram and disconnect everything else don't disconnect the power to the board (while removing parts disconnect the power).
The computer should beep right away. It should be one and then 3 short beeps. If so now connect the graphics card (do this win out the power connected) and see what happens.

Does it beep ? does it post?
How long does it take?

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Ill look into it. :)

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yea i looked into it there were no beeps nothing and it still doesnt work. Have no clue. Can i replace my cpu or is my motherboard locked.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You can change the cpu. I don't know if that is the problem. Could be the mobo.
Try and reset the bios. There is a batt that looks like a big coin. unplug the computer take out the batt and wait for 5 min. put it back and try again.

The screw could have shorted the mother board. The only way I can think of to check would to put parts in a working unit and see what works and what dos not. :) Maybe someone has a better idea.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Yea i looked into it there were no beeps nothing and it still doesnt work. Have no clue. Can i replace my cpu or is my motherboard locked.

If you removed the RAM and did not get an error code (beep) then it is likely that your mother board is bad.
You will have to replace the mother board, sorry.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
ooo! thats bad but.thanks

george6162

george6162

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Can someone help me computer boots up pass bios screen then to safe mode screen ect i select run normal i get to microsoft corporation screen with the little green logo moving side to side then it say no signal im running vista home basic anyone any ideas.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: george6162

Please start your own topic because this topic has not had a response since January of 2008
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.